Thirty-eight

Alexa Ramirez

"You what?" asks Jade from the other line. I can imagine her grinning right now after hearing what I've told her a while ago.

"Yes," I replied as I nodded. If only Jade is right in front of me now, maybe she will hug me and give me a prize.

"I wish I witnessed how he reacted!"

"Ah, you could have seen his face! He can't believe the fact that I don't remember who he is!" I said. I really can't hide the happiness I'm feeling right now.

Jade said something about the thing I did that made me laugh. According to her, maybe, acting like I really don't recognize him is the best thing I did to take revenge. And I can't deny the fact that she's quite right. Aside from the fact that I can make an excuse not to see him, I can also take revenge.

"What if he discovers the fact that you are just acting?" asks Jade.

"Nah, if no one will tell him the truth, then I guess there will be no problem," I replied. That's the fact. If someone will tell him that I'm okay and didn't have an amnesia, then, there will be no problem at all.

"Ah, I don't know. I'm not sure about your plan. It's quite bad," she replied. Maybe my sister is right but what should I do? It's already done. I made an impression to him that I don't remember anything.

"Whatever. If ever he discovers the fact that I don't have an amnesia, maybe he will realize that keeping secrets is much painful than not believing what is the truth," I replied. I really don't know if I'm right. What I'm just sure about is the fact that keeping secret to make someone believe what you want them to believe and to comfort them is painful.

"That's just the same."

"Uh, uh. I don't care. Let me handle this Jade," I replied. I heard her heaved a deep sigh on the other line. Jade just gives me a piece of advice before ending the call.

I just put my phone back on the bedside table and make myself comfortable in my bed by pushing myself up for me to lean on the beds headboard. I reach for the novel I'm reading a while ago before my sister called me which is on my side.

I was already in the middle of what I'm reading when a certain sentence caught my attention. 'It's better for me to be hurt because of the truth than to make me fool because of your lies'.
I bit my lower lip after reading it.

Jayden's face suddenly appeared on my mind. The way he reacted when I asked him if who he is bothered me. Why should it bother me anyway? I shrugged my shoulder and let whatever I'm thinking go. I continued reading the novel until my eyes dropped.

The next day, I was awakened by a loud commotion from downstairs. Yeah, it's too loud that I can even hear it. I push myself out of the bed and reach out for my crutches which is on the side of my bed and went inside the bathroom. I carefully wash my face and brush my teeth. When I'm done, I head outside.

I heaved a sigh as soon as I see my reflection on the wall mirror. I really didn't imagine myself using a crutch. No one wants to be in my situation. According to my doctor, it will take two to eight weeks before I can finally walk on my own without using a crutch.

I shake my head and smiled on my reflection before heading outside my room. I carefully descend on the stairs. "Mom, what's the noise all about?" I asked even if I'm still on the stairs. Well, I know the fact that they can hear me.

Mom, suddenly showed up at the bottom of the stairs and run towards me to help me. "Nah, I can handle this mom. If you will always help me, then I cannot recover. It will take me long time to walk again as a normal person," I said to her.

"No, you need my help," she replied. I just didn't say anything and just let her help me. Once we are finally on the bottom of the stairs, my mom smiled at me.

"If I didn't help you, you would still be in the middle of the stairs," she said to which I nodded.

I looked around only to see the last person I didn't expect to see. Jayden is standing at the couch looking at me. Without even thinking, I smiled at him. My mom didn't stop me when I walked towards Jayden.

"Hello, you're the guy from yesterday right?" I asked, still wearing a smile.

Jayden nodded and smiled. I silently curse him at the back of my head. This man is impossible. After hurting me, he still has the guts to smile at me. "Yes, and I'm here to remind you of me," he replied.

Really huh? I thought to myself. I looked at my mother and she just smiled at me. "What's the noise all about mom?" I asked.

"Jayden here wants to take you with him," says my mom to which I raised an eyebrow.

"Did you allow him to?"

"No. I actually don't want you to go with him and he started -"

"To argue with your mom. I'm sorry," he said cutting whatever my mom is about to say.

"Why would you like me to go with you?" I asked.

"I guess, I need to leave you talk," says my mom before she turned on her heels and leave. I was left alone with Jayden at the living room. Jayden help me take a seat.

"Again Jayden, why do you want to take me with you?"

"I want you to remember me and I want to take you to all places that can bring back your memory," he replied making me nod.

"What if I don't like to remember anything from my past?" I asked making him look at me intently.

"Why is that?" he asked.

"Maybe because something inside me is telling me to forget everything in the past. I don't like to remember any painful things if there are," I casually replied.

"What if those painful memories are the thing that can make you a better person?" he replied. I wanted to laugh because of what he said. Really? A better person?

"Nah, maybe, maybe not. I'm happy now," I replied. "And I don't want my past to just destroy my happiness," I added.

"Please," he said.

"Why do you want me to remember my past?" I seriously asked.

"Because I want you to remember your love for me," he replied. I wanted to slap him after those words came out his mouth.

"I want you to remember me," he added.

"If I really love you before, why didn't I hear anything about you from my family?" I asked.

He stared at me intently before heaving a sigh. "Because I hurt you," he replied. I can sense regret in his voice. Really, why would he regret about the thing he did? He was confident when he hurt me. What now?

"Please," he said.

---M.F.P---