Four

Alexa Ramirez

"You are late," says Jayden as I entered his office.

We were at the elevator when I received a message from him informing me to go straight to his office. It's just my second day of work but Jayden is acting too much. "I'm just on time sir," I replied.

He pushes himself up of the chair and walks towards the large window. The view outside can be clearly seen through his large glass window. He turned around with his back facing me. "On time? Tell me, what time is it?" he asked.

I instantly glanced at my wrist watch. The time says that it's already three minutes after one. "It's one three sir," I replied.

He turned around to face me. "Exactly! You are three minutes late. That's what we call late Alexa if you still don't know it," he said.

"Sir, I just had my lunch at twelve twenty -"

"I don't care. What we are talking about now is the fact that you are late! Can't you get that?" he asked. I can see anger in his eyes. Why would he be angry?

I just calmed myself down. I reminded myself that I'm in this situation because of the fact that I volunteered to be his secretary and I'm doing this for him. "You are right. I'm sorry. I really didn't notice the time," I replied in a low voice.

Jayden nods. "That's right. You should really be sorry."

I nodded. If I want to stay in his company, then I should act like a woman and an efficient secretary. "This is the last time that you'll be late. The next time you neglect the time, I won't be thinking twice and fire you," he said to which I nodded.

I waited for him to say something but I received nothing. I then turned on my heel and was about to open the door when he suddenly called out for my name. "Cancel all my meetings for this afternoon," he said.

I looked at him curiously. "But sir, those two meetings you have this afternoon are both important. Those were the ones that your father arranged for you -"

"I said cancel those meetings. I don't need a piece of advice coming from my secretary. I'm the boss in here, remember?" he said cutting me off. I nodded.

"Sir, what's the important matter that you need to attend?" I asked. It's not my intention to ask him that question. That is part of my job. To know what important thing my boss is going to do for me to have a valid excuse to reason out with those people who have an important appointment with him.

"I'm having a date tonight and I'm preparing a surprise for her. Just tell them that I'm too busy not to meet them," he replied emphasizing the word date.

I felt a sudden burst of sadness in the deepest part of my heart. Knowing that Jayden can cancel his important meetings for his date pained me. A thought of him doing the same for mw crosses my mind. What if I'm the woman he's going to date? Ah, I would be the happiest woman alive.

"Alexa!" he shouted that brought me back to my senses.

"S- sir Ja- Jayden," I stuttered. I was really frightened by how he shouts at me.

"I've been saying something but you are just zooning out. How can you be so stupid!" he said.

"What were you saying sir?"

"I said you need to call a flower shop to prepare a bouquet of flower and make sure that they will write something sweet on the card," he said. Again, the pain attacked the deepest part of my heart. Why does he need to do this to me?

"Sir what would be the message?" I asked.

"I don't know. Think about it, that's the reason why you are my secretary, right? You're the one who will do things that you think I'm not able to do," he said arrogantly.

"And you're not able to construct a sweet message for your date?"

"Whatever. Just get out and do what I told you to do," he said. Without saying anything, I headed out of his office. First thing I did is to cancel his two important meeting just for his date. After that I called a flower shop to prepare for a bouquet of red roses. When they ask me about the message, I told them to just construct a sentence that is sweet as cream. Once everything is done, I continued with all my work.

I was already in the middle of what I'm doing when I saw Jayden comes out his office. "Fix my desk and everything in my office, make sure that my office is clean and locked before you go," he said in his serious and commanding voice. I just nodded as a reply. If I tell something again, there's a tendency that our conversation will end up into a fight again. And that's what I'm avoiding especially that some of my colleagues are watching.

I watch as Jayden rides in the elevator. "Is he going on a date?" asks Jane who approach me after making sure that he is already out of sight.

"Yeah," I simply replied. I really hate the thought of him having a date with someone.

"How is your heart? Is it still functioning or not?" she teasingly asks.

"Ah, shut up. Of course it's still functioning. Hello, I'm still alive and can surely kick an ass," I replied to which she laughed.

"Then you can kick his date's ass?"

"Ah, forget about it," I said. Jane laughed at me before she heads back to her desk. I continued with my work until it's time for me to go.

It's already past seven when I parked my car in front of our house. My mom was the one who meets me at the living room. "Hey, how is your day?" she asked to which I shrugged my shoulders.

"Tiring," I simply said as I throw my purse at the couch and sits on it. My mother followed my action and sits beside me.

"That's part of working. Us, being tired means we worked," she said.

"You're right," I seconds.

"How is Jayden?" she suddenly asked me.

"Fine. He's having a date tonight," I replied.

"And that's the reason why your face is so ugly," says Jade who is now standing in front of us. I didn't even notice her. I watch as she sits down on the couch across us.

"Nah, am I that ugly?" I asked riding on what she just told me.

"Yes, you look terrible!" she said making my mother laugh.

"That's enough. Don't say words that may offend your sister Jade," my mom said when she finally stops laughing.

"How are you feeling after knowing that he is having a date tonight? Are going to give up now?" asks Jade that made me look at her.

"Nah, no. I'm just starting with my plan. I mean, not a bad plan but a good one," I replied. Jade just shakes her head.

"You are really a hard headed woman. Can't you see it? You're the one that will get hurt at the end of the day," she said making me smile. Even if I get hurt, I know I did what my heart says.

"As long as he is still not married and available -"

"I will not give up," says my mother and Jade at the same time.

I laughed. Did they really memorize my line?

---M.F.P---