Capitulum 30

I bit my lip as I turned the page of the book. It contained a drawing of a Lycan, I eyed it with envy. They looked magnificent. The next page had a drawn leg of a Lycan, describing every single muscle. I groaned, rubbing my temples. I wasn't getting anywhere like this.

I put the book down, taking a deep breath as I let my eyes roam around the piles of books I had collected. My eyes lingered a little longer on the small black book. Extending my hand as I let my finger run over its cover, everything in me called out to it.

I knew it wouldn't do me any good. I could barely read, let alone read a complete different languages. Yet I held the book in front of me, eyeing it carefully. I traced the outline from the gold lettering at the bottom. 'D..Deianira.'

My eyes widened in shock. It belonged to my mother, Leto growled approvingly. 'About time you figured that out.'

I rolled my eyes. 'I see you are feeling better.' I retorted. She growled, but didn't fade away. She seemed just as eager to figure it out. I opened the hard cover and another drawing of a beautiful white Lycan was visible, I let my finger trail its outlines once again. 'Wow..'

Turning the pages one by one, each page marked with a date and a number. The cursive handwriting held so much power, it moved over the page as if the blank ink were infused with wine, the air and perfume inviting words of such beautiful intelligence. I kept turning the pages until a small picture fell out, the picture was extremely old as the edges had turned a shade of yellow and contained some cuts. In the picture stood, what I assumed my mother. Her silver-white hair hugging her perfect face, her grey eyes held so much kindness yet so much power. In her arms was a little baby, I could only assume it was me. Tears welled up in my eyes at the sight of my mother, I looked so much like her.

I placed the picture down, returning my attention to the first page. I frowned as the words seemed to make sense to me. 'What the hell.'

Leto chuckled as she explained. 'It's the language between Lycans.'

'Day 1. It has been days since I last spoke to Lycaon. My pack is thriving in Lycosura. We are well hidden, hidden far away from the hunters that his ex is sending after us. I will keep us safe. I, Deianira, Lycan. Queen of Lycosura promise to keep this pack and my child safe. Until my last breath.'

It was my mother's.

My mother's diary.

Maybe this was the key to everything, this was my only connection to my mother.

I quickly turned the page, 'Day 2. I know many of our pack are judging me. Judging me over the fact that I am pregnant at the age of 25, in a time of war. Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, but no one can stop the most powerful feeling in the world. Feeling you kick, feeling your heartbeat thrive along mine only strengthens that feeling. The feeling of a mother. I know you will do amazing things, I just hope I will be around to teach you the ropes my lovely Azalea.'

Azalea?

A soft knock on the door interrupted my reading, I quickly hid the book under another one. 'Yes?'

The door opened and I met the gaze of Dani and Alora. Dani closed the door behind Alora as she walked in. 'I figured we could use some extra eyes.' Dani spoke as she grabbed a book.

'I didn't know you could read?' I frowned as Alora opened a book. She chuckled. 'I have lived here many years before I became rogue and joining the Silver Moon pack. I studied, I read and I graduated.'

I smiled. It still felt weird to think Alora has lived way, way longer than I had. I wondered how old she really was. A part of me was still upset with her lying to me about her true identity. Alora her gaze shifted from mine to the picture, she tilted her head but I quickly covered the picture.