Capitulum 49

My eyes shot back to the amazing statue, I took in her beautiful head. Her eyes, even though they were made out of stone, were intense. Involuntary I raised my hand to touch her head, I sighed. This statue was the first time I had even seen something like my mother's wolf, but it confused me that all of these statues were wolf like and I knew my mother was actually a Lycan.

Did that explain my situation?

Loud purring brought me back to reality and I faced the wolf, 'How did you know my mother?'

His eyes darted from the statue back to me, even sitting down he was taller than me. He raised his paw and gently placed it on my chest, it was a weird sight his paw was just as big as my entire chest. 'I don't understand.' I sighed.

He growled lowly, dropping his paw as he stood. Pressing his snout against my chest, he purred as my heartbeat vibrated through him. He closed his eyes as he let the beat lull him into a relaxed state. I gently took a step back, not wanting to anger him.  'Where are we?'

With that he jumped up, letting out a series of low barks as his tail wagged. He gently held my hand in his mouth, before pulling me a little further into the cave. Leading me straight into an immense huge library, millions of years of history and knowledge. My mouth fell open as I took in the beautiful sight. He dropped my hand and ran off, his nose pressing each book until he sat down and let out a soft bark. His tail wagging fast as I approached, he pointed to a book.

I instantly recognized the familiar book, it was just like my mothers diary. I carefully grabbed it, not wanting to tear any papers. My fingers roamed over the letters, Apollo Lykaios.

I frowned, i had never read anything about an Apollo Lykaios. 'Who is this?'

He rolled his eyes as a low bark of annoyance and a hint of adoration escaped him. He pointed his snout to the book, 'You want me to read it?'

He nodded his head, he laid down on the floor and motioned for me to sit down against him. I eyed the room, there was nowhere else to sit comfortably. I sighed, sitting down as I leaned back against him. He purred as my skin made contact with his fur. Leto responded with a low purring of herself, she seemed to be extra relaxed and she felt safe. I opened the book.

'I am Apollo Lykaios. Named after Apollo, my father. I have known from the beginning Deianira was supposed the be my mate, even before my father and Artemis found her.. She was a strong, beautiful Lycan and she made the perfect queen. Yet, mates didn't exist when I lived. Artemis took her under her wing, showing her the ropes. Wolves adored Deianira, every animal bowed for her. She made the perfect queen, the perfect Lycan Queen. I am Apollo Lykaios and I am mated to Deianira, the first Lycan Queen and I will fight for her until the day I die.'

My eyes darted from the book to the wolf behind me, his steady heartbeat and his low breathing told me he had fallen asleep. My mother had slept with another man whilst her mate was right here with me. I rubbed my temples, it was all so confusing. I returned my attention to the book, flipping through the pages. Most of the pages consisted out of stories of training, what his father taught him and how Lycaon had angered his grandfather, Zeus. After that the dates kind of stopped counting up, I wondered what had happened. It had flipped from a certain date to a date only 25 years ago.

'I had promised myself to stop writing, I have wandered the earth for years. Hiding in the dark, keeping tracks on Lycaon and Cyllene, his mate. He doesn't care, he never had. He cares for one thing only, spreading his DNA. Now, Deianira had fallen into his trap. I will kill him, kill him for touching my mate. I know I am near, my wolf is calling out for her and I know she knows, I can feel the pull.'