22 | 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐤'𝐬 𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐝𝐢

❁—————HALDI CEREMONY—————❁

The Haldi ceremony is a ritual holy bath, which is one of the pre-wedding ceremonies in India. Turmeric (haldi), oil and water are applied to both the bride and groom by married women on the morning of or preceding the wedding. The mixture is believed to bless the couple before the wedding. It is known to have properties that leave the skin fair and glowing. The haldi in some Indian communities is considered auspicious and also signifies protection.

The auspiciousness of this ingredient and its colour brings prosperity to the couple to start off their new life together. In some families, turmeric is mixed with sandalwood powder and milk while in others, it is mixed with rose water. This ceremony is also accompanied by traditional songs and dances, and in some customs, the bride and groom apply this sacred paste on their unmarried siblings and friends for luck too. It is said that whoever gets touched by this paste will find a good looking partner soon.

Most people believe that haldi has the power to ward off evil spirits from affecting the bride and the groom. Just like any other Indian ritual, the Haldi ceremony too is celebrated with laughter, giggles, pomp and colour!

✿———————————✿

Kai came out after a shower, finding the girls fussing over her clothes.
"No, no she will wear this. It's identical to mine." Reeva stated and Ira slapped her arm. 

"She's from the bride's side. She'll wear yellow like us." Raina remarked and Kai huffed.
"Get out. All of you." She said and they gave her stubborn looks.
"Are you leaving or should I leave?" She asked and they huffed before leaving. Kai grabbed a yellow anarkali suit, shrugging it on and paired up some oxidised silver accessories.

She wore the mojri she bought with Devyani and applied minimum makeup, since it was just the haldi ceremony. She walked out, her hair tied in a loose braid, and her eyes met Rahil's amber ones. Rahil's eyes widened when he took her attire in whereas Kai tilted her head with a frown. She walked near him and Rahil's breath hitched. She corrected the collar of his kurta and pursed her lips.

"Kuch nahi ho sakta tumhara." She muttered, shaking her head at him before turning around and walking away.

Rahil meanwhile stayed frozen, his heart humping loudly in his chest.

 "Why the hell are you standing in the middle of the corridor like a clown? Come on." Hardik said, patting his back and Rahil slipped out from the trance. He nodded and followed after Hardik with a smile. Kai walked towards the lavish garden which was set up for the Haldi ceremony. The groom's side and the bride's side was separated by a white shimmery curtain and the whole of the seating area was covered by white, orange and yellow flowers.