Chapter 40

Chapter 40: Not so reliable system

      { And here to hand the memorial trophy to the championship winner, Duelist insector Haga is a very special guest! Our presenter is the honorary president of Industrial Illusions as well as the genius game designer who created duel monsters, Mr. Pegasus J. Crawford! }

On the television, amidst the cheering of the crowd, the platform opened and Pegasus was revealed while holding the Trophy for the tournament.

{ Congratulations }

Pegasus passed the trophy to Weevil who was currently wearing a rare the seen expression on his face.

{ Th-Thank you. }

{ I would like you to participate in an event soon to be held by our company, with no limitations... }

Tokio who was currently watching a replay of the events that happened yesterday at the National Duel Monsters Championship turned off the television with the remote control that he was holding.

" Tokio!! "

Minori who was watching with Tokio in the living room frowned when her older cousin turned off the television.

" Sorry... "

Tokio muttered but he doesn't sound apologetic. Minori then pouted and complained.

" If you were jealous that 4 friends of yours and me and Minoru are invited to the duelist kingdom, then you should have registered and reached the top 25 to the National Duel Monsters Tournament. "

" I am not. "

Tokio muttered to his little cousin. Minoru then arrived in the living room while carrying a tray of food and placing them on the table. Both Minori and Tokio enthusiastically grabbed snacks.

Minori then turned on the television with the remote control that she snatched from Tokio. This time, instead of the National Duel Monsters Tournament, the trio is watching the news about Kori Twelves' latest around the world concert tour.

Later, after they finish watching, Tokio returned to his room and immediately plopped down on his soft and comfortable bed.

At the sight of Pegasus on television, Tokio couldn't help but remember the events that happened yesterday.

--------------

After Pegasus revealed that he knows Konami's identity behind the disguise, Tokio was shocked and frozen in fear. He also tried hard to don't think of anything inside his mind.

" Are you afraid that I would reveal yourself to others Tokio-boy? I am not here for that. "

Tokio then finally, noticed the briefcase on the corner when Pegasus picked them up and handed them to Tokio. The latter then opened the briefcase and familiar things could be seen inside. There was a glove that has a two-star chip on them, 5 cards, and a business card of industrial illusions.

" Let's talk about your knowledge and expertise of the cards after the tournament in my kingdom. See you later, Tokio-boy. I'm sure that we would have an interesting discussion. "

Pegasus then left leaving Tokio alone within the dark corridors while holding the briefcase and the contents inside of it.

-----------------------

Staring at his room's ceiling, Tokio sighed. When tomorrow arrives, he would get on the ship to the Duelist Kingdom.

' System, are you certain that Pegasus would only be able to see my disguise and the current thoughts on my mind? '

[ Calculating Probabilities... ]

Tokio waited for the answer for a few seconds before the system answered.

[ Pegasus wouldn't able to see and sense the system. ]

'What about me? Are you just here to make my life worse? You aren't a very helpful cheat.'

[....Answering host. The system isn't here to make your life easier. As the host has told me before, there is no free lunch in this world. You need to work hard for it. The host shouldn't blame the system for the mistakes that the Host has done. ]

Tokio gets up from the bed and thinks that the System was right. If he didn't go and join the National Duel Monsters tournament and used the Tripper Mercury, would he not garner Pegasus's attention? Wouldn't he discover his secret?

While Tokio was thinking of those, the System responded again.

[ As for the Host's earlier question. The host's origin is kept secret by the system. Pegasus who was currently the owner of the Millenium Eye wouldn't be able to discover things about the host previously not living in this world and anything about mind-breaking secrets like “ 'Yugioh' is an anime ”.  ]

Tokio felt grateful for the system when he heard that assurance. Even though the existence of the system was equivalent to being the greatest obstacle to his desired laid-back and slacker life, the system is surprisingly helpful at this time.

While Tokio felt a rising sense of gratitude toward the system, the latter decided to break his delusions.

[ Although the system has protected the host's greatest secrets, the system has misdirected Pegasus to the wrong conclusion at most. ]

' What misdirection? '

[ Pegasus would be able to sense that host reeks of death and darkness that usually came from duel spirits. And the host isn't the genuine owner of the body. ]

' What the fuck system?! '

[ Based on my calculations. There is a guarantee that Pegasus would think of you as a duel spirit because of your knowledge of the cards and your ability to glimpse things in the future related to duel monsters ]

After the system relayed those messages to Tokio, A bunch of curses spouted in Tokio's mind to the system.

Instead of just solving all of his troubles, The system has dug a bigger pit for Tokio to jump.

[ Since the host has already lied to his friends about your 'recovery' and 'loss of memories' when you are a child, why don't the system tailor a more suitable story for your knowledge about the duel spirits and the spirit world? " ]

' No, Nada, Nope! Fuckity fucking system! What the hell are you thinking?! This is the worse! Curse you and your ancestors! '

[ This is the most probable solution to the host's problem. Even though it has its detriments as being seen as a body stealer, your greatest secret is guaranteed to be not revealed. ]

A body stealing duel spirit. Tokio thought in his mind as he fell into a temporary sense of despair. Then, he calmed down a few seconds after.

Since transmigration, Tokio felt guilty for lying to his sister, his aunt, and his cousins.

Tokio always wondered what would be their reaction that he wasn't the person that they thought at all.

Would they hate him for occupying 'his' body and stealing the life of that child?

While Tokio was thinking of those thoughts, the system replied again.

[ Host, please be reminded that this system has no ancestors. I am one of a kind system ]

In those words, Tokio felt his depression go away replaced by being annoyed. If the system has a physical body right now, he would already throttle it!

[ Replying to the host's thoughts, the host can apply an avatar to the system which would cost 20,000 points. ]

If the system would have a meat suit in the future, then it would be a blood-sucking vampire scammer!