Chapter 107: The past that binds

Takuto was gauging the strength of Vashir, he clearly had the advantage, but he knew how dangerous a martial artist was if given a sliver of a chance to strike back. He had better equipment, in fact, Vashir didn't have much equipment compared to his godslayer armor and his katana. Both enchanted and refined to the point of being far better than what even David had, if we didn't count Sunshine itself, and Vashir only had his fists.

Takuto's armor was enchanted with an increase of physical defense, self-repair, resistance against magic that made him have in total a 75% of resistance towards magic, resistance against blunt impacts, resistance against poison, resistance against fire and lightning, and lightweight. Alongside the special skill of his unique armor, hidden blade, which produced several blades that struck those whose hits were dodged by Takuto.
In short, unless Takuto was hit with pure mana or with an attack that did ignore the defenses he had, he was a perfect counter for Vashir and a really hard opponent for someone like Evan. Yet today, he had been hit numerous times with pure mana due to Vashir's attack and Aniette's lasers. So he decided to play it safe, wait until Vashir tried to punch his face and watch him get hurt by the recoil, and then finish him off with Photon Style.

And so Vashir, charged ahead and tried to hit Takuto. All was going to what Takuto had planned, until he felt that Vashir grappled him and literally charged towards the nearest wall. This obviously hurt Vashir a bit, but Takuto felt it even worse. Yeah, he had increased his physical defense to the point of being good enough to be an offensive tank, but that didn't mean that attacks like the one that Vashir had delivered didn't hurt. In fact, it did hurt like if a truck had struck him, which he certainly had experienced before.

Vashir was sure that Takuto had enhanced himself to be someone who could take hits, noticing how Takuto looked and knowing the stories he had been reading from the beastman he had killed back in Sharasta, so he used one tactic he had tested many times against many enemies. He used Demon Enhancement and Mana Suit, which would make him have a crimson aura suit made of pure mana on top of his body. Then Vashir used Light Sprint, Grapple, and Knock Over to do a combo of three skills that would allow him to go faster than what Takuto could be prepared for without previous preparation, and tried to crush him using the nearest wall as a way to crush Takuto.
But even with that tactic, Takuto was still alive and only felt a great deal of pain, which made Vashir decide to use Demon Shattering Combo, which was a combo of 4 fast fist strikes and then two slower ones but with more power behind it, to break Takuto's guard and completely overwhelm him before he could counter this assault.

That said, Takuto kept his guard up and withstood the assault with sheer will while smiling. This taunted Vashir, even more than it should, and Evan noticed what Takuto was doing. Takuto used Showdown, the only taunting skill of the Samurai skills, to taunt Vashir and use the passive of the Samurai skills known as Duelist Soul. This meant that Takuto had more HP, and a lot more of damage, while keeping Vashir busy.

Vashir used Focal Pulse with his fist, which released a powerful pulse from the reverberation of the impact of his fist with the armor that Takuto wore, and he felt like he did some damage to Takuto. Yet what he also felt was that he was cut, and it was true that he was cut. A clear wound made with Takuto's katana had gone through the haori that Vashir wore and left a grevious wound on Vashir.

Takuto chuckled while Vashir managed to walk a few steps back, while leaving a trail of blood, which made Evan change the jade of hand and get worried about how quickly Takuto managed to handle Vashir's assault.

-Takuto: Do you believe that I, a godslayer who did the role of an offensive tank, would fall from a bunch of defense ignoring skills and several skill nullifying skills? Like, how many did you use already? 4. Good strategy, I will admit that. But let's be honest, the difference in equipment is vast. Like seriously, that haori must be grateful to me for cutting it. So, how about you go back with your boss and watch me kill Aniette? Trust me, I will be getting rid of the most dangerous and unstable child of Evan. Even you will be grateful to me once that happens! Get her drunk, and cities shall burn! That's the kind of monsters that are his children.

Vashir looked angry at Takuto, while trying to stop the bleeding and moving towards Takuto. He seemed ready to attack again, but he punched the ground instead of attacking Takuto. After that punch, a small earthquake happened in an area of 500 meters. This made Takuto, and many of the godslayers, fall to the ground. This made the several monsters that Evan had around go straight at the mercenaries and either incapacitate them or damage them enough that Nocturna could use Thunder Impact to improve her attacks and knock out the remaining mercenaries.

-Vashir: I know that the equipment you have is that cool... But just because I am hurt with one slash won't mean that it's over. You underestimated me, and my regeneration! I knew that could happen, but luckily you didn't go for the head right away. Probably because you wanted to make me suffer for following Evan, or some crap like that. I ain't smart, but I sure know when someone wants to kill someone slowly.

Takuto looked angry and leaped towards Vashir, ready to do an upward strike with his katana, only to be countered by a tornado that came out from Vashir's free hand which sent him flying to a wall. It didn't hurt Takuto at all, but Vashir got up with his wound fully closed and not even a scar of the slash he had received before thanks to the Mana Suit.
Evan smiled widely at Vashir, while his left arm was shining blue to the massive amount of mana that was being built up there.

-Evan: Takuto, do you understand now why did I bring Vashir? He is that weird type of tank, not the full tank or an offensive tank. But a regen offensive tank, he can restrict an opponent and take a beating while also beating someone up. Also, this crazy boy is enough crazy to risk his own neck. A prime example of godslayer talent. Alongside that, he has my disdain for Zerax.

Takuto looked irritated right now, he knew that even back on Dawn World finding someone capable of being a regen tank was like looking for a needle in a haystack. A regen tank's main point was being the same as an offensive tank, but with enough regenerative skills to not require items with health regeneration. That alone made the regen tanks an asset that everyone wanted, since their equipment could be focused towards attracting the hostility of the target and to lower the damage they received, but few had the guts to risk being hurt severely every single time until they got that equipment.

Takuto knew that he could defeat Vashir, it wasn't that hard, since he only had to overwhelm Vashir until the regeneration drained his stamina, mana, and willpower to their bottom levels. But by the time he had done so, Evan would have finished preparing whatever he was preparing right now, and his prior experience told him that using a jade for anything was not something to scoff at.
That said, Takuto was sure that Vashir would stop him again if he tried to move towards Aniette to do a blitzkrieg in order to eliminate her. So right now, his best option was to dash towards Nocturna, kill her, and then eliminate the Boom Wasps, Boom Mosquitoes, and Explosive Bees while healing his comrades. Then he would have a shot at eliminating Vashir quickly, and rushing towards Aniette. Losing Aniette would certainly devastate Evan, and probably would be beneficial for his future plans if he managed to eliminate Evan. It wasn't a plan he loved, just like accepting the contract with the slavers, but getting involved with Evan was the last thing he wanted to do. Specially since Evan seemed invested in killing his grandson.

But by the time Takuto had all planned out, Vashir had charged towards him and punched him quickly with a punch covered in mana. Takuto recognized this skill, it was Quick Punch, and felt the stun's effect after being hit by that fast punch. Takuto was never ready for a surprise stun, since he preferred to be fast rather than having an item to prevent stuns due to the fact that most of them were one time only and for that he would prefer to use his speed to avoid those attacks.

Yet this time, Vashir didn't follow up the attack and backed away fast, while Takuto felt a warm breeze going towards him. By the time he could look towards the source of that breeze, he saw Evan aiming at him with his left arm.
Evan's left arm was bleeding while looking rather scorched, like if all the veins he had on his arm had popped, and just above it, he had a sizeable firebolt that looked more like a ballista bolt.
Takuto knew that he was in trouble now, and that he wouldn't come out of this fight unscathed, because Evan had done what he expected that Evan couldn't do. Evan had prepared a deviant spell combo, righteously named like that since most mages could at most use a combo of two spells (even if one of them was a spell variation or an incantation) and Evan had made a way back in Dawn World to use a bigger combo, and Takuto knew that no matter how resistant to magic he was... That blast wouldn't be something he could take so happily, since he wasn't immune to magic.

In Evan's mind, the deviant spell combo didn't work as expected, and was clearly angry at that fact. The body of a child could barely handle a master level spell, let alone a deviant spell combo that used 5 spells, and the amount of mana he had prepared alongside the massive amount of focus he required to use that spell combo were far above what he would need for a master level spell. Had Evan been less acclimated to pain, the spell would have failed, and he would have lost his arm due to the explosion.
That said, after that deviant spell combo he was sure of one thing: His left arm wouldn't be able to use any spell anytime soon nor regenerate, since his mana veins (the veins that transport mana, which are located between the muscles and the nerves of the arm) had been burned due to the implosion of the arm. And obviously, he couldn't regenerate his arm due to the fact that his cells were absolutely charred and carbonized cells wouldn't be able to transform into slime or regenerate.

So Evan's last resort was using the jade, in case that the attack of Vashir and his deviant spell didn't make Takuto decide to focus on playing safe. Evan knew that Takuto wouldn't retreat without his people. With Vashir and Nocturna around, Evan was sure that he could force Takuto to bow down and get him recorded, while he begged for his comrades lives and confessing everything.
This chance was a godsend for Evan, since with it, he could show it to Kanbe and force him to surrender too or at least dishonor the hero once again. Once the hero and his grandfather were disgraced, the risks both were and the risk their hard work could be to Evan's plans, would be basically nullified while ensuring that David, nor anyone else, would try to assassinate him. And for Evan, that meant an absolute win without any chance of having a problem or risk since after the plan he would have an entire country on his back and that would mean a lot of resources he could use and potentially way more than that.

That said, Takuto knew exactly how to avoid that deviant spell combo easily and started dashing towards Nocturna while using Trick Tack Toe, a special skill that allowed Takuto to teleport diagonally without any kind of issue. But, as usual when trying to outsmart someone like Evan... He did predict the location where Takuto would be after using the special skill, and prepared to launch his spell.

-Evan: Deviant Spell Combo: Fire Ballista!

Upon hearing those words, Takuto felt the tip of the massive ballista bolt made of fire that Evan had made. It did explode upon contact, just like how an RPG missile explodes, and send both Nocturna and Takuto flying away alongside any monster around the 10 meters of distance between Nocturna and Takuto. Nocturna wasn't badly hurt, mostly due to the fact that she was the furthest away from the explosion, but her clothes were tattered, and she had a numerous amount of flesh wounds with some small burn marks from the explosion.

On the other side, Takuto's armor was glowing due to the heat shock caused by the explosion, and the samurai himself couldn't keep his balance due to the explosion. Nor Evan was able to still move without falling to the ground, and screaming in pain, since most of his left arm's nerves were burned alongside most of the arm.
That said, Evan produced anesthesia in his own bloodstream using the slime powers to counter half of the pain he was feeling, at least for a few hours, and got up while walking weakly towards Takuto.

-Evan: So yeah, we reach the natural conclusion. Yeah, for anyone of my organization, you would be a nightmare to deal with. In fact, right now, even I am not free from that feeling. God, I hate this pain. Not as bad as any Christmas with my parents, but that's not the thing here, and I am not going to start going all 'Parent issues' in front of an enemy. I am not that much of a newbie in real fights. Of course, I shouldn't be gloating to begin with, right?

Takuto weakly chuckled, while the lucky mercenary who got healed by Evan previously snuck up behind Evan. Only to see Izran appearing, and smashing his face in with a straight punch, while Evan looked at him with a wide grin.

-Evan: Moral lesson; I can gloat as long as I watch my back. And I always watch my back with the mana field, not that I didn't do that before having it, but you know... Makes it all a lot simpler. Little fancy thing, right? In Dawn World, we didn't have it. And I have been tinkering with it a lot ever since I got my hands on this! Seriously, 10-meter range full eagle view of the area? Alongside peripheral view for about 200 meters in one direction? This is a treat for me! Perfect for tactical blasting without hurting innocents or good old scouting! But I guess that with enough mana control training, I will be able to do far more. Not that I'd downplay anything

Takuto just stayed on the ground, unable to move thanks to the tinnitus and the effects of the blast he had received. Even with that armor, it felt like being hit with the unholy fusion of a sledgehammer and a jackhammer. Vashir turned to Evan, clearly angry that he got Takuto using such a cheap trick.

-Vashir: Boss, I had him! He was running away! A good pulse and he would be a goner

-Evan: Like, I am glad he didn't kill you or give you a fatal wound, because that's the usual with this bastard. But he was going straight towards Nocturna, and I don't like losing anything. Even if it's just to give you a decent fight! You will have a better fight once we go after the underground organizations! No, wait, in fact... Seeing the situation right now and the mess we caused... Thanks to Takuto... I am sure the army is coming here. And surprise, my insects are almost dead! Ugh, recovering those units will take a few hours to say the least, even with the replication speed. And SOMEHOW, you still avoid wearing the uniform!

Takuto looked at Evan with a wide grin, covered by his armor, and laughed, only to anger Evan even more. This infuriated Evan, since it was clear that the reinforcements would attack him and that would cause a massive headache while extracting Aniette. Also, he had to find the slaves to get the information he needed to find Corvinus's daughter. And all, due to Takuto's interference, which didn't make Evan any favor.

-Evan: Also, I know what you were trying, Takuto! You were planning on killing Nocturna, charge up Senbon's active skill and use it against Vashir! Of course, Senbon's Cherry Blossom Fang plus Photon Style techniques on someone without an armor is equal to an almost sure wipe out of the target. That katana of yours is always an item to look out for.

-Vashir: Then just loot it! Just like you looted the corpses of those bandits!

Evan looked at Vashir with an angry face, mostly due to his love for looting anything that could be useful like that katana, but also felt the pain from the entire fight.

-Evan: Oh, you think I wouldn't!? But that katana is a soul-bound unique weapon! In short, try to grab it, and it will phase through your fingers! And killing Takuto will only get us a soul-bound unique weapon we can't use until we get Sumeragi around, and he binds with it. And by then, we will have a bloody army over here ready to hit us where the sun does not shine! Also, I don't want to kill a godslayer! We are already few around, and I would hate to hurt a friend of one of my old friends, so I rather prefer to have him working for me! Even if he's an annoying prick who tried to kill my daughter! My doctor recommended me to not do wrath-induced bloodbaths or any kind of wrath-induced behaviors. They do not help with my own paranoia.

Vashir just sighed while moving away to help Nocturna, and Takuto just sighed while trying to get into a comfortable position.

-Takuto: Still focused on controlling us all? You certainly do not change, and you still love using child-like bodies. But things have changed, and most godslayers are trying to fit into society. Mostly the exceptions are you and the other three.

-Evan: Oi, this body is not my choice. Otherwise, I would have my old body. You know how much I used on that body! Like extra mana enhancement implants, the mana tattoos, the mana control of that body, and the horns. Also, a noble demon body helps more with mage builds than one would expect. Besides, not controlling you fools. I just guide you, so you idiots don't jump into a bottomless pit because you all can't think five steps ahead without looking at the guidelines. And don't tell me you didn't jump into a bottomless pit, you just worked with that piece of crap...

Evan went to point at James Hagre, but he had run away into the mines, which left Evan speechless while Takuto glared at Evan while laughing.

-Takuto: Okay, I did jump into a bottomless pit. I will admit that. But I have to pay my taxes and all the maintenance bills, so I need money. Also, you did use us as puppets and did truly nefarious stuff, which made me and the clan have to take this job if we looked at the consequences your maniac mind created. And you want to kill my grandson. Like hell, I am not letting you do that.

-Evan: If he stays out of my path, which I doubt, I have no problems with letting him live. But you know, he is defending the bitch that killed Legadonia.

-Takuto: Good for him. You deserve to pay for all your sins. Those of Dawn World, and those of your old life. I am sure you were a bastard.

-Evan: And you laugh only to not let me have even the pleasure of getting you angry, Tak. Seriously, you changed quite a bit. Is this the wisdom of age? If so, it infuriates me to no bounds. Usually you would be like Kanbe. Dense, uptight, stupid, foolish, lucky, and a man who follows regulations. You still follow regulations, but you know how to anger me quite a bit.

Takuto nodded while he pulled out from his inventory a flare gun, which made Evan look at Takuto dumbfounded for long enough to let him shoot it to the sky and making a flare signal.

-Evan: What have you done!?

-Takuto: See, this old friend of mine usually came to see how I was doing in the job since he had the displeasure of following an order to carry some members of the church of Zerax to have some parties with James... Both of us hated our duties, but decided to keep a close contact. Since he is coming today... I better call him to get here faster. And in fact, he is your worst counter. I don't think you won't have even a minute to prepare.

Evan shivered while looking at Vashir and Nocturna, who shrugged because they didn't know what Takuto was talking about. Lacking information was something that Evan hated to the point of having twice the amount of spies in his own city only to make sure he knew everything that was going on.

-Evan: So you called for reinforcements? Not a godslayer, I suppose. After all, if Vizgard was to come here for this kind of stuff... You know that he would finish the church of Zerax. He was too uptight even with my practices, to the point where he was impossible to guide.

-Takuto: Yeah, it's not him. Nor a godslayer, but you are weakened enough now for them to kill you without much issue. And of course, I will get paid even if you kill James now under the stipulation of asking for reinforcements. And that in short means...

Takuto grabbed a red crystal from his inventory, and smiled widely at Evan. Evan recognized that red crystal, and tried to stop Takuto from using it.

-Takuto: So I will be saying goodbye now! Enjoy the baton pass!

-Evan: You bastaaard!

Takuto crushed the crystal and all of his team, even the corpses, were teleported away. And Evan was left with a dumbfounded face, since that was not only the worst case scenario he had planned out. It was outrightly out of his expectations, so out of them that literally made Evan tremble and literally scream to the skies.

-Evan: I will kill you a thousand times for this, Takutoooo! I will put your body in an iron casket, fill it with lava, and dance upon your damnable Japanese graveyard!

Vashir looked at Evan, trying to hold his laughter because he was happy that Takuto escaped. Mainly because that way he would get another chance to fight Takuto, which did excite him quite a bit. Meanwhile, Nocturna was equally surprised, mainly she didn't know there were items like that crystal, but decided to focus on finding James Hagre. Only to find James, yet still alive, with Aniette drinking a bit of booze with a disgruntled face while sitting on top of James.