Chapter 42: Wavering Conviction.

Evan, Zerana, and Flint were waiting for the last member of the escorting team for 15 minutes. The last member of the team was a short girl with spiky black hair, a pair of pointy ears, tanned skin and purple eyes who was wearing a pointy hat, a robe that covered all the torso, and a pair of leather boots. She seemed a mage due to the outfit and even used a staff that was as big as her, which wasn't a surprise for Zerana and Flint.

That said, Evan couldn't avoid laughing at it and neither planned to avoid laughing at it, due to recognizing it and wanting to test the mage, since back in the game it was a staff for mages who started playing. Also, because of the risk that a stereotypical mage could be. It wouldn't be funny if both Zerana and Flint got badly hurt by the fireball strategy. 

-Evan: She can cast spells, or she is just a wannabe magician?

-Girl: I am a magician. A true mage! My elements are earth and wind!

-Evan: Well, no merged element magic for you, then. If she said that she used merged element magic... I would be rolling on the ground. Of laughter. By the way, I am a mage too. Fire and Darkness.

The girl looked at Evan, clearly angered by his reaction and that he knew about merged elements. Merged elements in Terra were a myth that only a handful of mages knew about, and this boy in front of her had spoken about it so easily.

-Girl: I don't believe you.

-Evan: Want to feel a fireball of mine? 800 intelligence. Your death.

-Girl: Do you think that you can trick me!? You will regret that! Earth, follow my commands and strike my foes! Stone blast!

A piece of earth started levitating and formed a rock that went to hit Evan, but Evan aimed his index finger towards the rock and shot a fire bullet that passed through the rock like if it was not there and grazed the face of the girl who looked scared of Evan after seeing that spell.

-Evan: Sorry for being arrogant. I wanted to see your skill. You pass, for a stereotypical mage. I don't think I will have to be scared that you get killed in this quest.

-Girl: Huh? So you were testing me while provoking me...

-Evan: Bingo.

Evan smiled and Jess was looking at Evan with a surprised face, while Flint could just sigh. Flint had been getting used to Evan's personality, but this taunting part was still too much for him.

Meanwhile, Kanbe was talking with David in the throne room. Kanbe was going to the ruins in case that he found Noche since taking out the Dark Lord grimoire would be a good start to defeat the Dark Lord.

-David: Mister Rochester is going to the ruins, with his Templar escort, but also will bring an adventurer and a worker escort. As far as we legally shouldn't be concerned about this, I have a feeling that Evan will be there.

-Kanbe: Maybe, but it would be too odd. Too much of a coincidence.

-David: It wouldn't be if he was a worker.

-Kanbe: Do you really think that he is going to attack Rochester?

-David: That's a fact, and you know it. You don't know how much Rochester likes to dodge danger. Even if that means sending workers to their deaths.

-Kanbe: And something more? I feel like I am going to meet a scumbag.

-David: He has a bit of an obsession with Wolf Clan ladies... Since they are a bit in the path of extinction, we can understand that.

Kanbe could only sigh at what he had heard, that was a mess he didn't want to be involved in. Specially if Rochester was a man with such tastes, a man of culture... As how one of the friends of Kanbe would always call this kind of people.

-Kanbe: Why did I expect that one?

-David: Yeah, seems like Evan aims at those who have a bad reputation in the eyes of the people of this country.

-Kanbe: Then why Lady Clementon almost died?

-David: Somehow, I feel like I don't have a good answer for that one. How do you know that?

-Kanbe: Maybe due to August grumbling about it? I have seen some hard labor areas she has... Back in my world, she would be in prison. Well, many of you would be. I protect the innocent people who follow your rules, but I start thinking that you are not working with the good guys. You should improve the working conditions and work towards better business like agriculture.

-David: Surely in your world, we would be in prison. But here we have different laws and perspectives. Also, we work to make this world majestic and stop the Dark Lord revival. Yeah, slavery can be bad... But those who are slaves have done crimes or incurred into big debts.

-Kanbe: Yeah, I have seen some of them. But this is not right.

-David: Sometimes laws have to be cruel for those who do wrong. And sometimes, it also hits those who are not that bad.

-Kanbe: I understand that.