Chapter 22: The First Alliance For The Throne

Evan had to find Alex, a candidate for the position of captain of the guard and make a deal with him in order to get him as a political ally for his plan, so he went to the headquarters of the guard. The headquarters were in a giant building of 2 floors made of stone in a plaza where there was a big statue of David in honor of his deeds, which seemed to be more of duels against the kings of the other countries and against wandering knights. In the same plaza, there were potion shops where people could buy potions, blacksmith shops that sold many weapons and the adventurer guild that was a 3-floor building made of stone and iron that had a small banner with a pair of swords crossed, Evan didn't take a hard look around the area since he was seeking the guard and couldn't waste time at all.

The guard is only meant to protect all the country unless the castle and make sure that the laws were applied to the state. For the castle, there was the royal guard who only took the best of the best, and they were level 45 minimum to a maximum of level 55.
The captain of the guard was as strong as the royal guard and held all the power in the guard. No one could disobey him unless it is the king, the king's advisors and the royal guard, and so having the captain as an ally was a great step towards kingship.

Evan did not know that, but guessed that controlling him would mean a lot of advantage, as having friends up in the hierarchy always was a good idea. Yet, also hoped that Alex would be enough decent to somehow make amends for what probably Grandine (Caroline) did with Lillian. Evan knew his daughter, and knew that she would try to help girls with their self-esteem issues with a simple method: Make them look good and have them hang out with her, making many good relationships, but also enjoying the typical parties she had.

Evan had to wait around 20 minutes to enter the headquarters and when he entered he found a tall man with tanned skin, blue eyes, chestnut hair who was wearing a brown armor and had an iron sword hanging in his waist. Evan did not waste time and asked that man one simple thing, mostly because he would look too suspicious if he took too much time to ask the guard.

"Hello sir, where I can find Alex?" Evan asked as he looked at the man with a wide smile.

"That would be me, young boy. What do you want?" The guard, who was Alex, said as he looked at Evan. 'Why would a boy come here and ask for me? I know that I am popular, but not to the point of getting people just coming here to bother me.' Alex thought to himself.

"I want to talk to you." Evan said as he kept his smile.

"There has been trouble with your family? I can get a more suitable guard to handle this, I have a lot of work to handle." Alex said as he looked at Evan with a worried face.

"I believe that we shouldn't talk here. It could attract unwanted attention." Evan said as he looked around the area.

Just after Evan had said that, a hooded man with black leather armor and wielding a dagger jumped at Alex, who couldn't defend himself due to the sudden attack. Evan did analyze in less than a second the attack pattern, then simply traced where the assassin's head would be to deliver the blow, and pointed his finger at the head of the assassin with his demon-like smile, making his mana flow into the finger and concentrating it to form a fire bullet.

"Fire bullet." Evan chanted, only to increase the piercing power of the spell.

Evan shot a fire bullet at the head of the assassin and killed him, leaving a clear hole in the middle of the head and exactly between both eyebrows. After a pair of seconds, the assassin's soul popped out of the corpse and Evan ate it. Alex couldn't even understand what was going on, but Evan had saved his life, and so decided to accept what he was asking. Also, he planned on interrogating and pressuring the young boy since he had to be careful.

"You will have to explain all what is going on. Come with me!" Alex said with a stern tone, as he started walking towards a room.

"Understood!" Evan exclaimed with the same smile. 'Good, got him! Now to convince him!' Evan thought to himself.

Evan followed Alex and they both went into a room where there was nothing, which raised Evan's alarms quickly but not quick enough. While Evan was readjusting himself to counter a surprise attack, Alex locked the door and unsheathed his sword and aimed it at Evan's chest. This was answered in kind by Evan, who turned his left hand into a formless slime connected to a slime blade, which was aiming at Alex's throat while Evan smiled like a demon once again.