part 5

M A N I K

There stood four girls in the same lehengas, Red chunri covering their faces completely and hands adorned with kaleri and a big set of bangles and looked as if there were four copies of the same thing. They looked the same like I couldn't spot a difference.

I looked at the kid in front of me who grinned cheekily and said "the one you select to be Nandini akka will be your bride" making everyone burst into laughter.

They knew it was just a fun time but still Nandini's parents were looking at them with wide eyes. I just laughed inwardly.

Actually this was challenging keeping in my mind that the four girls are looking so equal with the same hair, same height and same structure, mainly the same outfits without their faces.

The four of them were standing beside each other in a straight line with a feet distance between each other like mannequins in a shopping mall.

But let me tell you it's as easy as finding a chocolate cake from a bunch of vanilla cakes. Hell yeah. I first looked at their hands and then realised that the three of Nandini's friends managed to get the same engagement ring that I made her wear. Urgh that sucks.

I walked to them and stood at a distance of two feet and walked in front of them trying to see whether there was something I could find out.

Their heights are the same too. I groaned internally. I guess they managed with different types of heels and flip flops if needed. Everyone is looking at me curiously thinking how I will find the correct Nandini, making me shake my head. Damn soap operas.

I walked in front of them for three times like a to and fro pendulum of a clock increasing everyone's curiosity.

I stopped at the second girl and held my breath before slowly lifting her veil. The pink luscious lips came into my view teasing my heart at the smile that was tugged on them.

I lifted it a bit higher to see her cute chubby cheeks and button nose that looked way too adorable and lifting it even more, I looked into her dark chocolate brown eyes that can drown me forever that I won't even come back, not that I complain.

And I lifted the veil completely before settling it on her head and gave her my best smile ever.

Yay life. It's Nandini. Is it weird if I tell you that I can find her with my increasing heartbeat? Even if it is, I don't give a fuck.

Everyone looked shocked for a second before erupting into cheers.

Nandini's friends opened their veils pouting before one of her friends, I suppose Mukti pushed Nandini towards me with a mischievous smile and I immediately held Nandini before she even slipped as I was just standing in front of her.

She held my arms trying to balance herself, I could still hear the clinkling sound of her bangles and kaleri even in this crowd.

As much as cheesy it sounds, she took my breath away staring at me with her innocent smile as I held her closely. I was about to make her stand straight with a smile of my own when I heard a click that made me smile even brighter knowing who clicked it.

Apparently camera man Cabir today. I chuckled internally and glanced at him who winked at me.

"Okay so let's get to the mandap fast. This is the last muhurat of the month Orelse we need to wait for three months to get both of you married," my dad announced hurriedly. Geez thanks dad.

Cabir and Dhruv were immediately behind me as I walked there, flower petals falling on us as we walked to the stage like a mandap decorated with all kinds of flowers on four sides looking breathtakingly beautiful, photographer and videographer following us as mom and dad stood right beside me.

I was made to sit on a mandap while the priest started chanting something and asking me to do something like pouring water on the idol of a small god and some stuff and I impatiently waited for the bride who was taken back to her room to wait until she had been called.

As if hearing my inner thoughts, the priest said "call the bride" making me fist bump in the air internally. Cabir caught my small moment and smirked at me, making me fake glares at him.

I felt the whole conventional hall fall into silence as I saw the bride coming towards me with her uncles and brother carrying her in a big sized weaved basket and the musical band started beating drums and trumpets all ready to blast my damn ears.

But at that moment, I couldn't hear anything or see anything other than my bride who was kept on the ground before the mandap and was stepping on stairs carefully, her bangles and kaleri making melodic sounds along with her anklets while she was holding the lehenga with her hands, her lips tugged in a small pout as the lehenga was heavy but her eyes were twinkling with excitement yet something was hidden in them.

Some sort of emotion I couldn't decipher.

She was made to sit beside me and her parents along with mine were standing behind us looking at her with smiles while Dhruv was standing beside the entrance welcoming people while Abhimanyu, he was looking at his little sister with many emotions together.

Wearing a navy blue kurta that was decorated with white and gold colour small stones, he was all ready to give a ramp walk.

I looked at my bride again and my smile faltered as I saw how hard she was fighting with her tears and that made my heart crumple down brutally.

To keep her with me forever, I'm taking her away from her parents, brother and probably someone she called as her lover.

I felt pathetic for taking her away from them but I'm selfish because I realised I'm falling for her and couldn't let her go but I am sure I'll let her meet her parents and brother whenever she wants. But her boyfriend, oh ex boyfriend, I'll just see his end if he tries touching what's mine.

But I'm kind of furious that she is crying for her boyfriend and a pang of jealousy made its way to my heart and I couldn't help but feel insecure.