19

Nandini

She gave me a breathtaking smile, reminding me that Manik had the same smile as hers. "I should thank you for taking the responsibility of that grumpy son of mine" She said and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Can't believe my mom and wife are teaming against me" Manik's voice startled me as I turned behind to find him leaning against the fridge, with a smile on his face.

"Oh come on Manik, shall I tell you a secret?" I asked as I hugged maa from behind. She tilted her head and I gave her a kiss on her cheek grinning before telling "I married you because I love maa."

Maa laughed as she kissed my head and continued working and I broke the hug.

"Wow my wife just sold me for my mom,"  He said dramatically, keeping his hand on his chest, as if his heart was paining at the truth I just revealed.

I grinned at him and he winked at me, blushing immediately crept on my cheeks making him chuckle.

"Nandu, please get me butter from the fridge" Mom said and I nodded my head and walked to the fridge while Manik leaned against it and raised his eyebrows, a smirk on his lips. 

I pouted and gestured to him to move aside. The mischievous glint in his eyes disappeared and got replaced with something that awakened butterflies in my stomach.

He stepped aside as I opened the fridge door and looked inside to find some butter and felt him bend to my height level.

My breath hitched when I felt him peck my cheek like the first raindrops of the rain kissed the ground.

Warmth filled my chest as he sat on the kitchen slab as mom continued doing whatever she was doing.

"Maa, I'll cook, you  go and have rest and I know the traditions so I'll make some sweets too" I said, smiling at her.

She turned to me as I kept butter near the vegetables and kissed my forehead before looking at Manik and said "Don't trouble her" before walking away, making me laugh.

He looked at me grumpily and turned his head away. I shook my head and walked to him with a smile. "What's your favourite food?" I asked, my voice soft.

"Manik loves all the Punjabi dishes and payasam is his favourite sweet" Cabir yelled from the living room making me grin and I looked at Manik who rolled his eyes.

"I'll just see him and come" he said, his voice filled with annoyance as he jumped down the aisle and walked away.

I started making rajma chawal and chole bhature as main dishes and payasam for dessert where I could hear voices from the living room.

I was done with cooking and Manik was there with me, just sitting there and kept soft music in the background and it felt like I belonged there. As if I'm his.

I was done cooking and Maa came back to arrange everything on the dining table and maids started getting on with the work.

One thing I learnt from Nyonika malhotra, she loves cooking for her family. Even if the world's best chef would be on the line, she'd prefer cooking herself and I plan to do the same.

"Guests would be here in a few minutes and you look perfect. You can change if you want" Maa said and I shook my head no.

"No maa, she looks beautiful like this' ' Manik's sudden comment made my heart flutter.

Mom's four friends came and settled with my friends and family and I served to guests before serving Manik as Maa did to papa and my friends being very good friends served themselves as they were shit hungry.

I looked at Manik expectantly and he mimicked my expression, making me raise my eyebrows.

"Sit" he said, stuffing food happily without any comment. Everyone looked at him raising their eyebrows and I immediately shook my head.

"Nandini, sit and start eating. Mukti said I need to drop you guys at your parents house and I have a meeting and you are not waiting until I eat okay? You are my better half, not someone who is behind me. You'll always be my equal and always beside me. Come '' Manik pulled out a chair with his left hand and started serving my plate and I was touched with his words.

I looked at maa who nodded at me happily and I obliged. "Nandini is lucky to have a husband like Manik, if I don't get someone like that, I'm going to be single forever" Mukti murmured loudly, making everyone laugh.

"Manik, you didn't tell me how the food is?" Maa said, her voice edged with mischievousness and I'd have facepalmed if I wasn't eating.

"After your hand cooked food, this is my favourite" Manik grinned at maa and I couldn't be any happier.

"No, are guests coming for muh dikhayi?" Papa asked and mom nodded her head in no. I frowned, thinking this was a tradition too.

"I chose Nandini for my son and he is happy with  that decision, so are our both families. I don't get why I need someone else's opinion if she is the correct choice for him or not. And we are having enough people on this dining table if you want this ritual to happen" Maa said coolly and I don't know what to say.

I'm not going to betray them no matter what. I'm going to love these people with my life now.

"Manik, after giving a gift to Nandini, drop her to her mom's place and I'll drop Nyonika at NGO'S" Papa said smiling at me.

"Sure dad" Manik said as he was done with breakfast and served himself some payasam while I'm done with mine too. .

I looked at him expectantly and he turned  to me and winked as continued eating. God this guy. I shook my head and served sweets for everyone and passed bowls.

"Bhabhi food is awesome" Dhruv said grinning while Cabir nodded in agreement. After breakfast, my friends squeezed me in a tight hug showing how much they loved me, making me shriek.

"Gifts time," Mom said.