47

Manik

We reached our home and Nandini was still quiet, making me sigh. I hate this, so I'm going to talk to her. By night. It’s already afternoon.

I got out of the car and jogged towards her side. I opened her door and she looked at me, her eyes softened over the ride that assured me that we are going to be okay.

“You are hurt, I’m going to walk” She said in a pleading way that made me sigh. No.

“You are hurt too, so no” I said and extended my hand to her. She puffed her cheeks when I saw Dhruv coming out along with Abhimanyu that made me smile in relief.

“Abhi, pick your sister up, god knows how she wounded her foot” I said instantly as Dhruv came and hugged me tight. I patted his back lightly.

“Are you feeling better?” He asked and I nodded my head.

“Are you going to say it to bhabhi?” He asked and I realised he understood the tension between us.

Damn, she definitely has got the doubt.

“Bhai, you better say it before mom does, and a free piece of advice, she loves daughters more and bhabhi is her daughter now and you’ve told her past to mom, so I suggest you to tell everything to bhabhi before it’s too late” Dhruv said softly.

And damn me if he wasn’t right. I nodded my head. I can’t take chances or we’d have misunderstandings.

“I’ll tell her everything after our reception, after her exams are done and we get to know each other” I whispered.

“Don’t act freaking innocent. I know you had your eyes on her for a year and more” he teased, making me glare at him.

I smacked his head. She’d kill me if she heard him. She shouldn’t know about it. Yet. I can’t say anything to her until she is done with her exams, I can’t risk it. She’s working so hard for her scores.

He took a step back and took the keys from me. Nandini had her hands wrapped around him still sitting on the seat while Abhimanyu was kissing her forehead and smiled at her in a way my gut twisted. Damn, he is the perfect brother she’d ever ask for.

“Your husband would get jealous if you give too much attention to me” he was teasing me, his voice loud enough for us to hear.

"No he is getting attention from Dhruv so it's equal equal" she joined him. Little tease.

"You both keep talking but don't complain when I take both of your laptops away" I fake glared at them.

He loves his work too much and her stories? I don't even need to say.

"Then you are going to sleep on the couch Mr.Malhotra" she retorted. Damn Manik, she already has the upper hand.

"Sure Mrs Malhotra, but don't expect me to buy you chocolates" I chuckled. She stuck my tongue out and looked at her brother who shook his head in no. Because he is strict as she eats too many at a time. The only thing Abhi warned me is this.

"Dhruv will do it for me" she winked at Dhruv who nodded his head with a wide smile. Dumb ways to die brother. If she gets a sweet tooth, you are as good as dead.

"I sent you guys to bring them back" mom came out, glaring at us.

"Your sweetest daughter kept us talking" I pointed at Nandini with a grin. Guys are safe.

"She's a kid, where are your brains?" Mom scolded us. My smile vanished. Mom, I'm your son. I want to cry like a drama queen now. But my heart was fluttering with happiness seeing them together.

"Scold us when we get inside mom, she got her foot wounded and my hand hurts" I actually am becoming a drama king I guess.

Because my queen is sitting in the car right now. Her face instantly turned worried and she got us inside fast.

Abhimanyu was having Nandini in his arms in bridal style. Damn my hand I could have held her but no, madam is as stubborn as me.

Abhimanyu did her first aid as Dhruv parked the car in the garage and brought my medicines.

As soon as we entered inside, the first thing I noticed was our friends. Mukti and Navya were pulling eachother’s hairs literally while Alia was teasing Cabir and dad was gladly enjoying the show with popcorn, yes popcorn.

“Ow” Nandini muttered and everyone snapped their heads towards us.

“This was the peace I was looking forward to” She grinned, making me chuckle.

“Mom, we are hungry” Dhruv whined complaining she stopped everyone else waiting for us. Awe I love you mom.

“What happened to her, why are you carrying her?” Mukti was the first one to get up.

“Stepped on glass and got my foot wounded” Nandini muttered as Abhimanyu lowered her on the couch carefully and knelt in front of her life as I did at the parking lot near the hospital.

Dad appeared out of nowhere with first aid in his hands making her flinch. Nandini was biting her lip, trying to keep her calm as she fiddled with her dupatta. I sighed and walked to her and took a seat beside her.

"It is going to hurt a little" Mukti murmured, sitting beside Abhimanyu and started removing the band aids while Abhimanyu took the first aid kid and opened it.

I grabbed her hand, her dupatta covered our joined hands. I rubbed my thumb finger over the back of her palm, trying to make her calm as I wrapped my stitched hand around her shoulder holding her close to me.

I might have seen Abhimanyu smiling at us from the corner of my eyes but my head was filled with the pain she was going through.

She turned her head towards me, hiding her face in my chest as she clutched my hand tightly as Abhi cleaned the blood with cotton.

"It's going to be okay" I kissed her head. I got my hand freed and palmed her cheek, side hugging her as she had her arms around my torso with her face buried in my chest that made me feel complete for the first time after long and my heart flipped at the life I'm holding in my arms.

"Manik" she whimpered slowly that broke my heart. She was hurt. Abhimanyu was cleaning the wound with some antiseptic as she had her eyes shut tight.

"Meri jaan, calm down" I said, looking at her face. She opened her eyes slowly and looked at me. My life.

At that moment, she didn't knew what power she has over me and I'm doomed if she doesn't love me.