63

One week later,

Nandini

“Manik” I shook the man who was sleeping, forgetting about all the shit in the world, even with the fact that his wife is giving exams that are finally the only semester left.

“Let me sleep Nandu, please” he muttered, pulling the duvet over himself.

“Manik malhotra, if you throw fits that I didn’t wake you after I come back giving my exams, I swear to god you are sleeping in the guest room” I warned him and got down from the bed and adjusted my denim jacket.

Shaking my head in disbelief at my sleeping hulk, I grabbed my hall ticket and pens that were on the bed and before I could grab them, a hand clasped around mine, making me surprised.

Before I could blink my eyes, I was under the duvet with my husband who is hovering over me right now, with his hands on either side of my head. My breath hitched as I took in his appearance. He looked fresh, like literally fresh as if he got out of the shower ten minutes ago.

Wait, he isn’t in the night suit he wore yesterday.

I blinked my eyes at him. With a smile pulled on his lips and his hairs slightly messy, my husband winked at me before lowering himself until his lips were pressed against my forehead, the sweet smile reflected on my lips, just like his.

“Good morning wifey” he greeted with a chuckle as he removed the duvet over us and rolled on to my side. And that’s when realisation struck me.

“You were awake all the time” I muttered, my tone accusing. Folding his hands on my pillow and his chin on them, he turned to me lightly, his eyes filled with mischief and warmth.

“Since half an hour” he said, biting his lip like he is trying to control his smile. My eyes narrowed.

“I’ve been trying to wake you up since half an hour” I mumbled sitting on the bed, folding my legs as I combed my now slightly messy hair with my fingers.

“It was just adorable to see you whine and wake me up” he replied. God this guy.

“Today is my first exam Manik” I instantly started to panic. I woke up around, oh wait, I didn’t sleep until this giant human picked me up in his arms in bridal style and forcefully made me sleep for three hours, threatening to tear my hall ticket in twenty two pieces if I didn't sleep. Why? Because that’s my age. Ridiculous.

“This is why I didn’t wake up when you were whining” He muttered, getting off the bed.

“What?” I shrieked, wearing my identity card.

“You’ve been panicking like from the time you woke up, that is 4 to till now. If you keep on panicking, you are going to have a panic attack in the exam hall, relax love” He said as he came to me, cupping my cheeks as his thumb fingers brushed over my cheeks softly.

His touch instantly relaxed me.

“You have prepared Nandini. You learnt everything. You gave four mock tests yesterday and you got almost a full score so calm down, nothing is going to happen. You are going to rock it "His voice was gentle, like he was talking to a baby and I was too speechless to have him this close so I just nodded my head, too scared to speak something.

“Let’s feed you breakfast and I’ll drop you at your college” He said, pressing another kiss to my forehead.

“I don’t eat when I give exams” I blurted as soon as he stepped a foot away. His eyes instantly narrowed.

“You don’t need to eat when you are writing exams, but it is important to eat before you give exams” his sarcastic reply made me pout.

“I’ll just have some energy bar please” I mumbled, grabbing my hall ticket, pens and my book.

“No arguments Nandini, come” his firm voice made me frown as I followed him out of the room quietly as I pocketed my mobile.

“This isn’t office Malhotra” I muttered quietly as we were getting down the stairs. He stopped before turning to me and grabbed the book and hall ticket out of my hands and adjusted my pens in his pocket before he grabbed my hand as we got down the stairs together.

“Sorry, but I really don’t want you to mess with your meals. You won’t be able to concentrate without having food. '' His voice was a bit gentle as he placed the books on the small table in front of the couch and walked me to the dining table.

“Manik, I’ve been giving my exams like this from tenth class as long as I remember” I said softly as he lowered me on the chair as maa came out of the kitchen with what smelled like aloo paratha.

“You were never a malhotra before either” his reply instantly made me blush.

“Good morning Nandini” Maa said with a smile as she served me and Manik paratha.

“Good morning Maa, you look beautiful” I complimented with a smile and she returned back with another sweetest of her smiles.

“Mom, serve in a single plate, I’m feeding her” if anything, my cheeks reddened a little more.

“You are turning her red," Maa said, slightly poking my cheek, giggling like a high school girl.

I whined as Manik started feeding me and I ate quietly, not arguing as I took out my mobile as I started to scroll through a pdf, doing a quick revision and Manik didn't disturb me this time, letting me study.

I reminded him to eat for himself, not removing my eyes from my mobile as he rewarded me with a peck on my cheek.

Mom fed me curd and sugar [dahi cheeni] as good luck before we left.

______

“I don’t want to study and give exams, I want to get married and have kids, take me home” I muttered, looking at Manik who was looking at me with an amused look on his face.

“Just to remind you, you are my wife already.”