28

Manik

"I think she needs to know that she needs to get over him if she is feeling something for him" I texted him back and turned to her who was leaning against the window and closed her eyes.

"I don't want him in my life Manik, but I don't want him to be an incomplete chapter where he could jump back again when everything will be going good" Nandini spoke that surprised me honestly because I never thought about that. As if I'd let him snatch her away from me.

"I won't let him come between us no matter what," I said, my voice firm.

She just nodded her head and started looking out. I think she needed time to process it, so I let her be and turned away from the highway and entered a forest route.

But I can't be selfish. "Nandini we can go back and come later if you want" I said softly knowing her answer already but I'll be sure if she gave the answer.

She looked at me with her dove shaped eyes that were filled with surprise.

"That bad huh?" She said casually and it was my turn to be surprised.

"I mean, is the truth that bad that you want us to leave? Or is it how the day turned out and you don't want me to have a worse day?" She asked, her tone as if she was talking to her friend.

"What do you think?" I questioned her back, not wanting to answer her question.

"First one" she replied without any hesitation.

I just nodded my head without saying anything. Not that she needs my words anyways. Whatever I have to say, I'm gonna say it when I show him to her.

I don't know if she can actually take it. After the shit she had with her parents, I don't know if she wants to know about him. I don't think she will be the same after today. But I'll make sure she'll never know the darkest side of mine.

She is an angel. I don't want to taint her innocence. The rest of the car ride was quiet without any talk.

I stopped the car and looked at Nandini who was asleep already. I almost didn't have the heart to wake her up but the screams from the warehouse startled her and she woke up flinching slightly.

"Calm down" I said and looked through the rearview mirror and found two cars already there.

I sighed in relief. At Least she has back up now. Can't believe the girl who didn't even want to see my face because we are getting married is feeling safe in my presence and is choosing me over the guy she loved.

I palmed her cheek and caressed it softly. She looks so fragile and precious. I don't know how that bastard got a heart to hurt her.

She smiled at me, the smile that took my breath away in that moment. I leaned forward and kissed her forehead lightly.

I don't know why I have this urge to assure her that I'm there and will be with her forever and the urge is increasing with each passing second.

"I'll be fine Manik" she said and my eyes widened.

"What?" I asked, wondering how she felt my tension.

"I could see it in your eyes. Don't worry. I can handle whatever the shit he did. I atleast think I can" she said, keeping her palm on mine, which was on her cheek.

"Give me a moment" I said before getting down out of the car and got out to find Abhimanyu, Cabir, Dhruv, Navya, Mukti and Aliya.

"Mukti, did you spill it to them?" I directed my question directly to that bold girl who'd break Madhyam's neck and arms if he did some shit.

"I did and I think they are still processing it" she answered like we are talking about some test. For the love of God.

"What are you guys talking about?" Abhimanyu asked.

"That Madhyam deals with drugs" Mukti said, her face filled with annoyance for God knows what reason.

"Calm down for a few minutes, tigress, we have Nandini to handle, '' Abhimanyu said, his tone filled with mischievousness and concern at the same time. God cheesy.

"I'm bringing her out, let's go inside and finish your romance as fast as possible" I said and walked back to my car to find Nandini in her mobile scrolling through reels.

I opened the door and she was startled again. That made me wonder if she is actually much traumatised than everyone thinks her to be. If that's the case, she sure as hell can't handle the news.

I held my hand out to her and she clutched it tightly like her life depends on it.

"You don't need to act strong Nandini, it's okay if you are not okay with the truth, we got your back" I said, rubbing my thumbpad over her hand softly.

"And you say we do romance" Abhimanyu said gruffly while Nandini frowned at him.

"Calm down, there is nothing like you think. Your friend turns out to be a wild cat which is of no surprise but she tried to kill a guy almost and is annoyed for God knows what" Abhimanyu said, as annoyed as she is now.

"Can you guys fight later if god permits?" Nandini murmured that shut both of them up instantly.

"Great. Let's go inside now" I said and stopped and looked at Nandini who was looking at me already.

"Will you wait outside the room that we are entering for a few minutes before coming inside?" I asked and she looked doubtful but nodded her head anyways.

"Can we be with Nandini too?" Navya asked, pointing at her friends.

I nodded my head. That would do. Navya extended her hand to Nandini but she looked at me and that made my heart flutter despite the shit situation.

I nodded my head mumbling "you are stronger than you know. You don't need me to be there but I'll be." She flashed me a small smile before squeezing my hand slightly and letting it go.

But at that moment, it felt like she was saying something else.