73

Nandini

"Are you sure she is okay?" A whisper made me frown. What's happening?

My body felt exhausted and my throat felt dry. What the hell is happening?

"I don't know, I just found her at the balcony on the ground, passed out" Another voice. It's Abhi. Realisation dawned upon me.

Manik. I thought. The last night memories came back. Soha. Manik was crying. Him leaving angrily before my breaths became so uneven that I couldn't get up from my place and before I could find strength in my body, my head was spinning with memories of the dreadful night. Her screams and cries.

"I'm worried," Dhruv said. Why is everyone here? Where is Manik? I tried to stretch my hand, but I could barely move my fingers. My heart lurched at the thought. Did I get paralysed or something?

I whimpered, my voice sounding foreign to my own ears.

"Baby doll" Abhimanyu spoke gently. Pressing my eyes together, I tried to calm my racing heart.

"Like that Nandini. Breath. Don't control them, just go with the flow" Mukti said softly and I felt her hand on mine. I breathed in relief. I feel her touch at least.

My eyes fluttered open before the bright light blinded me. I turned my head to the side before a body sat on that side to protect me from the sun. I almost cried in relief before I opened my eyes.

After a moment of blur, I could see Dhruv, Abhi, Mukti, Maa and Papa. My eyes automatically searched the room for my husband. But he was not here. Disappointment surged through me.

They looked like they just got back to life before they retreated and settled on the bed, giving me space to breathe.

"Manik isn't here Nandini, don't stress" Abhi sounded as disappointed as I'd. I immediately shot up and sat in my place before I did a quick scan. Sighing, I got out of the bed ignoring everyone before I felt my head hurting.

"I'll take a shower" was all I said before I left the bathroom to get a hot shower like it'd solve all my problems. I need to shower before my cramps start coming back.

I wore a plain yellow maxi with a green jacket after I finished my chores and let my hair open. I looked at myself in the mirror. The person that stared back at me wasn't me. She was someone else.

Someone that came from that night. Daring, caring and more confident that I'm. Someone who is still keeping her calm when I'd faint for the third time by now. Soha. My  mind flashed her picture again. I shut my eyes with a sigh before I opened them, determined to bring her back. I'm as responsible as Manik is for everything now. She is my sister too.

And I think I'm having mood swings.

I went back to my room to find everyone still sitting in the same positions. Maa was the first one to rush towards me. She hugged me tight, almost making me stumble but I wrapped my hands around her. I need as much support as I can get today.

"I was so scared." Her voice broke and clenched my heart.

"I'm fine Maa, I think it was because of memories that flashed back, my head couldn't take everything" I muttered guiltily.

"I'm happy that you are safe, that's all I wish for" She whispered, kissing my head with tears in her eyes.

"I love you" I gave her a bright smile, as bright as I could muster before I kissed her cheek affectionately.

When my own mother couldn't care even if I die getting kidnapped or assaulted or drugged, this woman in front of me is crying because I merely fainted. How did I get this lucky?

"I know and dare you scare me again like that" She glared at me. I pecked her cheek again before I went to papa and hugged him.

"Glad to know you recognised us other than your maa" he complained as he hugged me back making me laugh.

"You are such a sunshine papa" I teased him. He beamed, smirking at Maa who shook her head with a chuckle.

He kissed my forehead, his eyes speaking volumes that he couldn't speak.

"I'm fine," I repeated with a smile.

"My turn now" Dhruv whined, hugging me as papa broke the hug.

"You scared us to the core, Bhabhi, I almost thought we lost you" He said slowly, his voice shaking.

"I'm sorry for scaring you guys" I ruffled his hair like I do to a baby. I still remember him telling me four days ago that he sees me like his second mother that made me cry.

"We are waiting too" Mukti sounded like a kid. Chuckling, I hugged her tight.

"Bitch, I'll complain to your future kids and make sure they are with only me if you scare us again" She grunted, tightening her hold on me. I laughed even though the thought made me blush.

"Geez woman, she is my sister" Abhi glared at her.

"I don't think I'd care, she is my best friend" she shot back, crying.

"Woah, Mukti, why are you crying? I'm all fine, bestie calm down" I panicked. Mukti never cries. She only cried two times until now, when she broke up with Harshad and when she saw him there at Alia's before exam.

"You really scared me Nandu, I don't want to lose you" she sobbed. Abhi came and wrapped his hands around both of us, giving us a bear hug holding us tight. And out of nowhere, I started crying too.

He pulled us closer, in an attempt to calm us down, but his warmth just made me cry more.

"My pretty girls, you need to calm down for me please, I can't see the two most important girls of my life crying like that, wasting the precious diamonds' ' Abhi's employees would cry if they heard his gentle voice.

"Your sister scared me," Mukti complained.

"I thought you refused to acknowledge her as my sister" he grinned that made me laugh in between my tears. He kissed my head with a smile, followed by her head.

"You know what? I hate you Abhi" She looked at him furiously, pushing him away.

"But I know that's not- '' his voice was cut off by a ringtone. It was Dhruv's. He frowned, that made us stop what we were doing. Abhi wiped my tears before he pulled Mukti again before we turned to Dhruv who's expressions were serious.

"Get him here and don't tell anyone" Dhruv said seriously before he hung up. His eyes darted to Maa and Papa before they settled on me. My heart tightened suddenly.

"Manik, he went to a street fight last night and he is drunk now to his wits, filled with bruises, Piyush is getting him back" Dhruv's words shook me.