53

Nandini

I kept staring at the finger on my ring, my mind running around everything so fast that my head was spinning quietly, not that I'd say this to anyone.

Manik went to the kitchen to keep everything back after applying butter on my cheek slightly and laid me carefully on the bed while the ice cream looked so tempting, but that was the least of my worries now.

The handle clicked as it opened, revealing maa, followed by Manik and Dhruv. I sat immediately. Mom rushed towards me, hugging me.

"I'm so sorry beta" her voice was soft as she stroked my hair. Her warmth just brought tears to my eyes. Dhruv and Manik sat on the other side of the king-sized bed. Papa entered slowly and sat between his sons.

She sat beside me and turned to me; her eyes fell on her husband and kids before her gaze turned to me.

Maa's hand went to my cheek that was not slapped, stroking there softly with her palm tenderly, her actions affectionate and soft as she looked at me with her eyes filled with worry.

"I'm so sorry that we threatened your parents like that, scared them about snatching everything away or that we'd keep restraining orders" her voice was soft when Manik scoffed.

"Mom, I'm not sorry for doing that, and you can't say that when you just saw how she got treated. In fact, I'd actually do everything we said if your daughter approves." my husband's eyes flared with possessiveness.

"I'm not sorry either" papa shrugged as if he said no to a bar of simple chocolate. He looked like he didn't actually care what he said down there and he'd actually do that.

"Me either" Dhruv grinned, flashing his teeth at me as a sob broke through me.

"Hey, stop crying. You have us Nandini" She said softly as I hugged her.

Her hands slowly came around me, her motherly affection making me more vulnerable; why not? Every mother has that power over her kids.

Her affection is simply out of the world, something we need to appreciate and we always forget to do that.

"Mom, I'm serious. I'm not letting anyone get away with hurting my wife" Manik's voice sounded pretty serious made me break the hug, and I looked at him with a glare wiping my tears.

"See, she is glaring at me even while she is crying" he muttered with a grumpy look looking at his dad like a kid.

Papa shook his head with a chuckle.

"At least be quiet until she is crying Manik; just lie to her until she stops crying" Dhruv's eyes turned mischievous. Maa rolled her eyes, almost groaning.

"Will you guys shut up? She is crying" She glared at them. Manik sighed.

"I hate it when she cries mom, it hurts me to see her cry, and she supports them when they were the reason she was suffering. They slapped her right in front of us," Manik said, his voice sounding lost and distant.

"Nandini, we will stand up for you no matter what. I know you don't want them hurt, but you are just giving them access to let you hurt more; I don't know how things run in Murthys, but with Malhotra's, our daughters are our princesses" Papa's voice was filled with emotion, as if he remembered someone.

Dhruv's hand reached Papa's shoulder like he was consoling him. If I were not sad, I'd have definitely asked what was happening.

"You know what, you guys go outside. I need time alone with my daughter" Maa said, urging them to get up.

Papa frowned, then shook his head and came to me after getting up and kissing my forehead. I smiled.

"Take care and tell me if my stupid soon hurt you, we will kick him out of our home" Papa's words made me giggle. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Manik rolling his eyes, and that made me laugh more.

"He won't hurt me Papa, but I love you" I smiled at him, pecking his cheek. He patted my cheek affectionately before walking out of the room with a smile on his face.

Manik walked away after pecking my cheek whistling like a wolf, and I instantly blushed. My heart fluttered with happiness seeing the pleased look on his face when I said he wouldn't hurt me.

"Mom they are making me feel single" Dhruv whined before walking away, not before flashing another cheeky grin at me, reminding me of the way Manik pecked my cheek. He closed the door behind him calmly and maa turned me, patting her lap, asking me to lay my head.

I smiled and did as she asked and she patted my head softly.

"Is everything between you and him okay?" She asked. I nodded my head.

"Everything is maa. He is just angry that I asked him twice not to say anything to mom and dad," I said, confused by her question.

"I'm asking about the morning. You looked lost while he looked so unlike him" Maa expressed her concern and then it clicked to me. Princess.

"It's nothing, maa, we sorted it out," I said softly, feeling awkward talking to her about her son whom I think has a crazy past and him not being over with the girl.

"I'm glad if you guys sorted it out Nandini, but I'd say something to you," her voice was soft, filled with hesitation. I nodded my head, grabbing her hand.

"I know you might feel scared or something by seeing the mess he made yesterday here, but I'm happy you handled him the way you did. I'm so proud of you. His choice is perfect" She said, kissing my forehead.

"His choice? I frowned. Everyone said you chose the alliance when Abhi sent it to you by someone" I frowned. Isn't it Abhimanyu who got Manik for me?

Maa chuckled, shaking her head in disbelief.

"I saw you almost one and half years ago in Manik's mobile even before your parents started seeing alliances for you" she said, shocking me to the core.

What in the name of the holy god of a chocolate choco chip muffin?