75

Nandini

I felt myself going stiff hearing his voice.

“Love” he murmured again and I found myself turning to him, hearing how vulnerable his voice was.

He has a bandage on his head that was wrapped neatly, his forehead fully covered while his knees were too, bandaged along with his left wrist. I don’t know who will fight with wrists like what?

I’m so angry, at him, at myself and at the guy who had beaten him up.

I got up from my place and helped him sit up without saying anything. I’m not going to let this pass even if I look like a bitch at this point.

He is not allowed to get hurt like this. I controlled my tears as I picked up his bottle with straw and handed it to him.

“Nandu” he called me again, a bit louder as he kept looking at me while my eyes trailed on the ground.

With a resigned sigh, he finished drinking water and handed it over to me. Taking it, I went to the other side of the bed and sat comfortably.

Sit and sulk Malhotra. You got it upon yourself. I don’t know if all the men are this way or if only Manik malhotra got designed like this specially.

From the corner of my eye, I saw him shifting closer to me. Not close enough, just a foot. I’m so glad that the bed is big for the first time.

It’s actually lucky that he was out with less injuries. He might have lost an arm or leg, who knows?

I want to grab a pillow and hit him until my anger comes down. Calm down Nandini, he is injured.

Instead of giving in to his slow and quiet approach, I grabbed my mobile that was on the nightstand and unlocked it.

Honestly I have nothing to do since my college is finished. But I’d just pretend that I’m working on a thousand crore project work. Aka, ignoring him.

I opened my mail to clear all the junk mail when I felt him poking my hand.

“Hadh hai Yaar” he frowned, keeping his head on my lap as he laid comfortably.

Serves you right then, I thought, continuing to ignore him.

“Nandini” he called my name irritatedly snatching my mobile from my hands.

“Manik” I snapped, unable to control myself.

Throwing my mobile aside, he raised his hand and caressed my cheek softly.

“Are you angry at me?” he murmured gently, and the tenderness in his eyes was more than enough to make me cry.

“Do I have any right to?” I stood my ground.

“Is that even a valid question?” He now looks amused. I just stared at him without answering.

“You are my wife” he uttered clearly even though he looked so tired.

“And?” I raised my eyebrows, swatting his hand away. Don’t blame me. I’m on my periods and my uterus is angry at me, twisting my stomach.

“I’m sorry” he whispered, looking away.

“For what?” I asked, trying to keep my calm.

Bleeding is okay, but why do we have to bear mood swings, cramps, back ache and headaches all the time?

“For everything” he looked right into my eyes, trying to search for something I don't even know.

I didn’t reply and shut my eyes, throwing my head backwards. I might cry if he keeps looking at me like that.

“I’m sorry na Nandu” he said sweetly, hiding his face in my stomach as he wrapped his hands around my waist, hugging me.

I fisted my hands, trying to control myself from running my fingers in his hair to comfort him.

“Please” he whispered again, pressing a light kiss to my stomach.

“Stop it Manik '' my voice shook with the effect he had on me. And it’s not about physical needs or something. It’s the emotional attachment I got with him. Much more dangerous than physical attraction.

“Talk to me. I’m hating this silent treatment” he spoke, tightening his hold on my waist.

“And I’m hating that you hurt yourself this way” I snapped in anger, poking my hand in his cheek to make him look at me.

“I was angry” he tried to reason himself.

“So am I now” I replied as I could feel my dam break.

“I was too hurt Nandini. I don’t talk about her for this reason. I can’t control myself and that was the only way for me to let out” he grabbed my hand in his, caressing my fingers.

“You chose that way Manik and-”

“Nandini breakfast is ready” I heard Mukti’s yell.

Shifting his head to the pillow, I got up from my place as my stomach twisted with another cramp.

“Coming” I yelled and kissed his hair.

Even though what he did wasn’t valid or right, I don’t want him to get hurt again and blame himself or go into a fight because his wife is angry this time.

He called me again but I didn’t respond as I zoomed out of the room and let my tears fall.

Why is this happening to us Manik? He is hurting so bad and I don’t know what to do with him.

“Nandini,” Mukti yelled again. Wiping my tears, I got down the stairs to see her arranging mine and Manik’s breakfast in a tray.

Bacon, eggs, pancakes and toast with some green salad. Wow.

“Here you are” Abhi smiled, but didn’t reach his eyes as he saw me enter the dining room.

I nodded my head, not even trying to fake a smile. What is the use of keeping a fake smile when everyone knows you are not fine?

“Sucks that much?” Abhi got up and pulled me in for a hug.

“My mood swings are getting worse, it feels like I’d cry for anything and everything” I sobbed in his arms.

The best and worst part of having a home is it lets you be vulnerable as long as you want to.

“I know baby doll” he gathered me in his arms as he let me ugly cry while I fixed myself on something.

I’m not crying or going sad in front of Manik until he is fine. I’d make sure he is not stressed over everything, but Soha is coming home tomorrow.

with manik's wish or without his wish. He has no say in this even if it's his sister.