48

Manik

Abhimanyu did her first aid and covered her foot with cotton and bandage as others settled on the couch, waiting for her to say how she got her foot wounded.

“Geez, guys I dropped a glass item and in the process of cleaning it, I got myself hurt. That is all chill” She tried to play it off easily but everyone glared at her while I kept quiet. She’s lying, I could say it the way she had her fingers crossed under her dupatta.

“We have maids to help with our work Nandini, you could have called any of them” mom shook her head in disappointment. Nandini sighed and moved away from me slightly, which made me frown.

“I’ll say it next time maa, but let’s eat now? Manik needs to take his medicine and so do I” Nandini made a puppy face that melted everyone. This woman is going to be the death of mine.

“We will help you aunty” Navya said with a smile getting up followed by Mukti and Alia as they followed mom. Abhimanyu shrugged his coat and laid it on the couch as he was talking on his mobile.

“Let’s go guys, food already turned too cold” Cabir yawned, making me chuckle.

“Ask mom to get us food here, my wife won’t move and I am not leaving her alone” I instructed him and he whistled in happiness before leaving followed by dad and Dhruv.

“I’ll just come” Abhimanyu mutterd, hanging up the call before going to the diner as he folded his sleeves on the way.

“You were saying something Mrs. Nandini Manik Malhotra, you’d make me sleep on the couch?” I questioned her, my voice light as I snapped my head at her, my eyes filled with mischief.

“Only If you don't behave Mr. Malhotra” Nandini said, flicking my nose playfully, making me smile. And I realised something.

We can’t talk until everyone leaves us alone and I don’t think it is possible today. No. I need to talk to her asap.

“Nandini” I muttered, grabbing her hand in mine slowly, interlinking my fingers with hers as I pulled her a bit closer. She looked a bit surprised but didn’t resist my touch. 

“I know there is alot going on in your head and you have so many questions, but I promise I’ll answer everything after your exams. I promise but give me some time please. Learn to trust me Nandini, I need it” I admitted honestly. She looked at my face, her eyes finding something I didn't know.

“Few things happened and it is hard for me to speak them up, just give me a month and I’ll let you know everything. Nandini, you don’t need to get insecure regarding me. If there is a girl I would want to fall in love with, it will be you and only you” I continued and stopped speaking as I saw Abhimanyu coming towards us. Wrong timing.

She blinked her eyes, like she was trying to process whatever I said and I wish I got a few more minutes to explain, just a minute or two more but damn.

Abhimanyu approached us with two plates filled with food in his hands and handed one to Nandini who looked at him confused.

“You feed him, I’ll feed you” He smiled, sitting on the other side of her as he picked up the spoon from his plate to feed her.

“Claps for you Abhi, you’d take care of your sister and brother-in-law but god bless me with some patience, if you become careless again, I’m strangling you with the first thing I get my hands on” Mukti almost yelled, coming to us with a plate of food in her hands.

“Calm down tigress, no one is eating me away” Abhimanyu chuckled as she dragged a stool and sat on it right in front of him.

“Shut up!” She glared at him. If looks could kill, Abhimanyu would be a pile of ashes by now.

“Fine, sorry” Abhimanyu shrugged as he started feeding Nandini while she fed me with her hands. Nandini grinned at her best friend who in return winked at her.

“What’s up with you both?” Nandini asked a moment later.

“I went to his office to ask if he could accompany us here and sir was starving himself since morning for god knows what. When your mom told me, I yelled at him and he just kept grinning like a Cheshire cat and still didn’t eat anything. Barely a granola bar that I forced blackmailing him that I’d kill him and he threw it away after a bite acting like it slipped” Mukti said, gritting her teeth as she shoved a spoon of food in Abhimanyu’s direction who shook his head with a chuckle and ate by her hand.

“See, I ate. Fine now?” He asked, chewing the food as he fed his sister calmly.

“Manyu” Mukti huffed and fed him another bite.

“Okay feed me I’m eating, I surrender Ms. Vardhan you won” Abhimanyu said grumpily.

“God Nandu, how did you manage with this man?” Mukti turned to Nandini who was feeding me.

“I don’t know but tell me a few tricks of yours, he never lets me win in any kind of argument like this” Nandini chuckled.

“Liar, I always ate by your hand without any arguments” Abhimanyu glared at his sister.

“You are a liar bhai, I had to cry to feed you or do something to melt you, you never agreed in one go” Nandini muttered, chewing her food.

“Shut it both of you, eat quietly” Mukti muttered. Abhimanyu fed a spoon to Mukti who huffed and ate it without any arguments when he glared at her.

A shutter sound made us snap our heads to find Cabir who grinned at us.

“Couple and to-be-couple together. I’m getting this framed” Cabir announced, sitting beside me.

“No one is going to be a couple” Mukti denied annoyingly as she fed Abhimanyu, her cheeks tinted red. She is adorable. Perfect match for Abhimanyu.

“Let's see. Abhi, what do you think your employees would say when they see you getting scolded by a college student?” Cabir smirked.

“Shut up, no one is seeing those videos or anything, no one can scold me like that” Abhimanyu denied, his ears turned pink making Nandini laugh as she had enough of her food and my plate was empty too.

“Except her” Alia and Navya piped up, pointing at Mukti.

“I’m going to burn your assignments if you speak anything” Mukti threatened them, a smile formed on her face, opposing her threat.