20

Nandini

I looked at everyone nervously, not knowing how many of them liked my food or not.

"Let's start with Manik" maa said but a sudden blast of ringtone made me look at my husband who shot me an apologetic look before picking up his mobile and walked away from the dining room without forgetting to take his sweet bowl.

"Let's start with guests then" mom said, smiling at me warmly. I nodded my head, not letting the disappointment seep into me.

One of her friends gave me a box with a few perfumes from branded companies like Zara and Chanel with different fragrances and I loved it. Another one gifted me a lavender colour handbag that stole my heart right away.

Another one gifted me a pair of beautiful anklets and lastly, the only left aunty gifted me a set of bangles that I was craving to buy for two months. I thanked them and turned to maa and papa.

Maa walked right to me and I stood up. She gave me a rectangular red velvet box and I opened it curiously and gasped looking at it.

The keys of the house. I swallowed hard looking at it and shook my head.

"This is a very big responsibility maa" I said, my voice almost cracking.

"It's your right Nandu " her voice was soft as she patted my head but it still sounded like I'm going to bear the weight of the house.

"I don't even know the basics or anything " I try to reason her which looked stupid. She is Nyonika Malhotra, she wouldn't have picked me in the first place if she thinks I'm not capable of it.

"I'm not going to burden you with responsibilities. I'll teach you everything. But I just want you to keep these. You'll learn things slowly and that's okay" she said softly, unlike my mom who used to taunt me if I did anything wrong and wanted me to be a fast learner.

I hugged her tightly, still holding the box in my hands. She hugged me back and patted my head softly.

"I won't let you down" I mumbled as tears threatened to spill down my cheeks.

"I know" she kissed my forehead and I broke the hug and turned to papa who came to me, holding another velvet box.

"I'm not taking it if it's the responsibility of the office" I whined, making him laugh.

"Your dad is not as cruel as your mom" mischief sparkled in his eyes, and mom kept her face tight trying not to grin that is threatening to show up.

"What is it then?" I asked curiously. He kept the box in my palm and I opened it. It is a butterfly chain, filled with small rubies and diamonds that was sparkling like a new house on diwali.

"This is so beautiful papa" I said and looked at him smiling and he stilled numb for a second before a beautiful smile drew on his face.

I didn't know why he got numb but it was just for a split second that I found myself doubting that I imagined it.

"This is to remind you that you will still have your freedom and you can do whatever you want to without holding anything back. You are our daughter not daughter-in-law" he said softly and my heart melted right there.

"Thank you papa. I loved it" I said and kissed his cheek.  He patted my cheek with an adorable smile and kissed my forehead.

"Our turn now" Cabir yelled, excitement bubbling in his voice. I laughed as he brought me a big square box covered with a red gift cover.

I opened it and a grin formed on my face so hard that my cheeks started to hurt. "I know you love me the most Cabir" I said dramatically while others laughed and Cabir winked at me.

It was a bouquet of all chocolates that was more than half of my size.

"You are going to get sweet tooth Jesus" Manik murmured as he saw what Cabir brought and glared at him.

Cabir glared back and said "I got them for my bhabhi not for Jesus" making me burst into laughter.

Dhruv got me a skin care hamper and my favourite scented candles and I hugged him with a grin. The aunties left a few minutes ago.

"We will give our gifts when we come back here before we leave" Mukti said and Alya and Navya agreed, completely relieved.

"That leaves jiju to give a gift before we leave for your maternal home" Navya grinned at Manik who shook his head in disbelief.

"Give me a moment" he mumbled and walked back to my room while my girls took maa to talk about something and I don't know what secrets they are talking about. I shook my head as they helped her clean the dining table.

"Dhurv or Cabir will pick you up in the evening if Manik can't come" papa said and I nodded my head, still holding the mansion's keys and the chain papa gave me in my hands and everything else was lying in the living room on couches.

"You are going to go Late tomorrow papa. A doctor will come for a full health check up" I said to him while maa came along with the girls.

"What's happening?" maa asked and I flashed a grin at her.

"Your daughter is going to get us a check up tomorrow here" papa grumbled like a child, but his eyes were shining with happiness as maa chuckled.

"Good thing. We can even call Murthy's here so that they can get checked up, ''Maa said and I nodded my head Grinning.

Manik stepped down the stairs stealing all the attention and everyone almost growled seeing a file in his hand.

"You don't give your wife your work and projects Manik" maa snapped at him and it took everything in me to control my smile.

Manik faked a smile at her and handed me the file asking me to open it. With a frown, I slowly turn page after page and read it, my lips parted in surprise as I looked at him while he looked at me expectantly.