58

Manik

Like my feet have their own accord, they moved on their own until they reached hers, my shoes touching her as I found myself wrapping my hands around her, pulling her in a hug as she cried.

My heart started as she clutched my suit in her small fists, fear enveloping me with the worst of the thoughts as she tried to control herself, to gain some composure.

“Jaan, I’m here. Calm down” I whispered softly, smoothening a hand over hair as Mukti clinged to Abhimanyu like her life depended  on it. I'm sure something is going on between them, he looks as scared as me.

She hid her face in my chest, trying to push herself into me, showing how much she needs comfort and reassurance at this point that broke my heart for her.

“Baby” I muttered slowly, turning her away from everyone holding her still in my arms.

“Manik” Her voice broke, like she was trying to speak something. Damn I shouldn’t have left her there when she asked.

Guilt instantly started spreading in my chest but I pushed it aside, knowing she is my priority now.

“Take me away from here” She whispered as I pressed her head against my chest. I pressed my lips on her hair, trying to assure her that she is going to be okay.

“Go inside the room, I’ll just come” I said gently, caressing her cheek as I made her look at me.

The eyes that were looking at me possessively and annoyed this morning were filled with fear and insecurity right now, and damn me if I don’t kill the person who hurted her.

I kissed her forehead as she tightened her arms slightly.

“I’m so sorry, I’ll just come in a few minutes after talking to everyone. Why don’t you freshen up and maybe change yourself?” I asked her, my voice gentler than before.

If anyone from my office hears me talking this soft, they are going to faint for sure.

“Please?” I requested her, wiping her tears with my thumb as she looked at me like a lost kid.

She nodded her head as I nudged her slightly into the bedroom that I have in this office with a small kitchen, washroom and wardrobe inside it.

The door is behind the couch, hidden behind the bookshelves and opens with the fingerprints of mine, hers and my parents.

The shelves moved away slightly, revealing a baby blue door as she opened it and went inside before closing it behind her. She looked so fascinated when she saw it the last week she came here.

“Sit guys” I gestured to the couch who nodded their heads, Navya and Alia sat at one while Mukti and Abhimanyu sat at another one and I sat on the other side of Abhimanyu, waiting for one of them to speak.

"What happened?" I asked, looking at Abhimanyu.

"Don't look at me like that" he muttered, holding Mukti closer to him.

"Like what?" I snapped.

"Like you are either going to kill me or someone else" he muttered, looking frustrated and scared at the same time.

"You are absolutely right. So tell me who it is and save yourself" I glared at him.

"Calm your shit down man, my sister needs you. My girl needs me so I'm not leaving her alone and now your girl needs you" he replied, his voice trembling at the end.

“Who is it, Abhi? You know right, you are not alone?” I asked him.

“I know you are going to help me, and it's Harshad” He replied and my brows furrowed. I thought that the bastard was crying in hell.

“What about him now?” I asked.

“He is Alia’s cousin, he was already there by the time I went after receiving Mukti’s text. Nandini was shivering and Mukti looked scared and terrified at the same time” Abhimanyu replied and I shot up from my place immediately.

Damn that Saxena. Didn’t he have enough already?

“Alia, I understand that he is your cousin and all but if I find him around my wife ever again, I’m getting restraining orders against you too along with him” I said, my heart burning with the need to kill him at the thought of him harming Nandini. 

“Manik, hear me out. I removed all my connections with him when he broke up with Mukti. I swear on it until he contacted me on your marriage day. I ignored him as much as I could but he popped up yesterday night and begged me, saying he just wants to apologise to Mukti and then he’ll leave” Alia replied almost immediately, her voice filled with guilt and regret.

“You should have at least told them that instead of lying to them” Abhimanyu snapped at her. I’m sure he is as angry as me knowing he is having feelings for Mukti now.

“He is good with manipulation, I just thought I was helping him until the time Mukti came and before I could apologise, he came” Alia said sincerely.

Honestly, I don’t know if Alia can be trusted after this. I trusted Nandini’s friends and all but seeing how easily Harshad can manipulate her, I’m sure he can do this again and make her against her own friends.

Is she as good as she seems? Is it okay for my baby brother to get attracted to her? I don’t want him hurt because of her.

“Be careful Alia, he is dangerous to you too” I warned her.

“I’m not sending her for combined studies to your house again, I’m sorry but I can’t take the risk. I hate it when she cries and seeing her like that hurts so no, if you want, you guys can happily come and study at Malhotra mansion, no objection” I said, my voice feeling foreign to me as I thought about her getting hurt again.

“Nor am I sending Mukti and I’m sure Cabir doesn’t want Navya there either, he is already smitten by her” Abhimanyu muttered.

“Woah, mister who said you can decide it for me?” Mukti raised her eyebrows as she frowned, but you could easily say that she just wanted to bicker on nothing. Her eyes say how much she has feelings for this guy. 

“The moment you realised you can rely on me and text me as soon as you saw Harshad, you gave those rights to me” He replied, interlinking his fingers with hers and keeping their hands on his lap and I looked at them in awe.

“Are you going to propose her-” Navya’s voice was cut off by Nandini’s loud scream.