22

Nandini

"Not going to deny the invitation if it's from Abhimanyu Murthy" Mukti grinned and came to us, wrapping one arm around me and the other around Abhi.

I chuckled, knowing her intentions, and I swear my heart couldn't stop fluttering at their cuteness. Abhi wrapped his arms around both of us and pecked my forehead, and hers and Navya whistled, looking at it.

"Do you both need a special invitation?" He asked Navya and Aliya, who literally jumped on us. I shrieked at their tight hug.

"We don't want to feel left out," Cabir muttered, trying to hug all of us, along with Dhruv.

This calls for a heart attack. My poor heart can't handle this.

"Okay, guys, I can't breathe," I muttered loudly. They left us alone, and I huffed, adding a few dramatics that I was actually out of breath.

"Drama queen," Aliya stuck her tongue out at me, and I scowled playfully. Mom got us tea, and everyone sat in the living room quietly. I helped her in serving tea.

She and dad sat in a love seat while other boys sat on a sofa, and we girls sat opposite them, and Mukti, being Mukti, sat on a bean bag dragging it from some corner.

"How is she doing?" Dad asked, his gaze fixed on Dhruv and Cabir. They made a confused face while Abhi sighed, making me frown. "I didn't get you, uncle," Dhruv said politely.

"Is she treating her in-laws well?" Dad asked, and I gasped at his question. What the heck?

"why wouldn't I treat them well, dad?" I asked, frowning.

"You know the answer well," Dad said with a pointed look that felt like a punch in my gut. Is he really bringing it up now? Cabir cleared his throat before I could speak something and shook his head.

"She is treating everyone with respect and is helping Aunty with cooking, Uncle with health, and Manik with his routine, and she already feels like a part of our family if that's what you are asking," Cabir said, looking between Dhruv and Dad.

For the first time, I could see him as a businessman rather than the guy who jokes with us.

He perfectly answered the question like he didn't know anything. I'm sure he does know everything. Thank you, Cabir. He blinked his eyes at me.

"Um, I think I'll leave now. I have some urgent work," Dhruv said, getting up as he kept the cup on the table between us.

"Cabir, are you coming?" Dhruv asked him, and Cabir shook his head no.

"I'll come back with Nandu. I don't have any work either," Cabir said without meeting my eyes. I'm sure he has work to do, but he is just here for me.

"Cabir, you can go if you have work. Don't wait for me," I said softly.

"Nandini, is this the way you talk to guests? Is this the same way you treat your in-laws and husband too?" Mom asked, startling me.

"Mom, not now" Abhi shook his head, making me look at him stunned. What is happening?

"Aunty, please, she is just concerned about my work," Cabir said, trying to calm the tension that wrapped around us.

"Dhruv, I'll come with you," Aliya said and gave me a side hug.

"I'm leaving because I'll immediately give an entry when you need me. Just let me know ten minutes before so that I'd be able to come and divert whatever is happening," She mumbled, still hugging me, warming my heart at her words.

"Sure, let's go" Dhruv extended his hand to her, making me smile at them. Aliya grabbed his hand and left after bidding bye to everyone. I sighed as I kept the empty coffee cup there.

Navya and Mukti mimicked me while Cabir and Abhi glanced at each other.

"Abhi, I need to use the washroom," Cabir muttered slowly.

"I'll show you" Navya stood up, trying to give us alone time. God no, I don't need any alone time.

"I'll just keep the cups in the kitchen," Mukti said, grabbing the tray that was filled with empty cups. And just like that, three of them went invisible.

"What was that Mom? Dad?" Abhi asked, looking at them in disbelief.

"What do you mean by what was that? Ask her only, she is the reason" Dad said, his accusing tone making me wonder whether he is the same father who used to bring me ice creams even if it was late at night.

"What did I do dad?" I asked, frowning.

"You should know what you do Nandini, and now you are someone else's daughter-in-law, and you can't pull your childish stunts anymore. I'm not going to tolerate your shit anymore" Mom said, and it felt like a slap on my face.

"Mom and dad, calm down. Will you? And tell me what my mistake is" I said, trying to keep my calm while I'm trying not to freak out.

"You really did wrong calling Madhyam at your marriage Nandini," dad said, shaking his head in disapproval while I looked at him numbly.

"Dad" Abhi raised his voice trying to stop him.

"You didn't say that. I can't believe you said that Dad. Do you really think I'll humiliate you in front of everyone calling him there and spoiling everything? I can't stoop that low Dad. It's not about a guy I loved. It was about two families, and their respect in society, and I at least know that enough okay? And you really think I'd do that when mom blackmailed me that she'll suicide if I did something?" I asked, looking at him as tears filled my eyes.

My mobile rang, and I looked at the caller and swiped the green button, and kept it near my ear.

"Nandini calm down please" Manik's voice was so soft as if he was talking to a toddler.

"Come here please" My voice cracked at the end, and  I felt so childish for asking him to come knowing he was in a meeting.

"I'm on the way. I'll be there in ten minutes. Cabir called me, and I heard everything. I'll be there soon. Keep the call on and try to be calm" Manik said softly.

"Okay," I sighed and held the mobile in my hand, and looked at Abhi who shook his head.

"Can't trust it with you when you fall in love with the wrong guy," Dad said as if he was ashamed of me.

"So you mean falling in love is wrong?" I asked, feeling ridiculously emotional. I was trying to give this marriage a chance, and I am actually happy with it, and I'm not ready for this talk. 

"Nandini stop talking back to your dad," Mom said, her voice laced with anger.

"Talking back and answering his questions are different, mom," I said calmly, taking a deep breath.

"I didn't know when you turned into a brat," Dad said, shaking his head.

"I turned into this brat when you guys threw me into depression" I replied not holding it back.

"We are the reason that you are in depression? No, you are the reason we were ashamed in front of relatives yesterday" Mom argued. Ashamed? Seriously?

"Ashamed mom? Tell me one moment when you were actually a mom to me, not a lecturer in the university" I said, fisting my hands trying to control my anger.

She literally tortured me for eight months after she found out that I was in love and from childhood, oh I don't even have a childhood. Dad was busy with his business and anger issues while mom always kept rules from dresses to the food we eat to not letting me go out with friends. And I'm tired of it now.

"Nandini," Dad yelled, standing up and making me flinch.

"Dad, stop right there, Abhi said, immediately standing in front of me like a shield.

I stood up and clutched Abhi's shirt from behind tightly and said "I don't know you guys anymore" I shook my head as tears slipped down my eyes.