18

Nandini

I looked at Manik blankly, my head wandering around what he said. I don't know why I told him about my hobby. This felt so soon. It's one of my very personal loving things that keeps my mind off the real world and drowns me into something else where I love being.

Mom and dad never liked it. According to them, this is something that spoils me and that writing is a bad thing.

One of dad's friends used to be a writer who got addicted to smoking and drinking whenever he faced problems with writing and they thought I'd go that way and never encouraged me with this.

I wish they trusted their daughter a bit more or just see why I love writing.

"What if they find this and think bad about me?" I murmured quietly. As much as my parents love me, they hate it when I go against them and writing is like a crime to them.

"Writing someone's life is the only way where you can live and die a hundred lives and you'll love every bit of it. Don't think it's a bad thing. There are many successful writers out there and they aren't bad" Manik said and left the balcony, giving me space.

I don't have time for this now. Manik's mom would be up any minute and I need to get ready for the muh dikhayi and then pehli rasoi.

Glad I know how to cook. I walked inside to find Manik in his Armani suit and frowned. I walked to the night stand and grabbed his car keys and purse and walked to him.

He looked startled when he turned back as he was buttoning his coat. He cleared his throat and took the things from my hand and kept them in his pockets.

"Thank you" he muttered before grabbing a comb and setting his hair and applying perfume.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked, unable to stop my curious self. He looked like he was controlling his smile.

"I need to go to an important meeting. Clients are killing Piyush with pressure and I postponed it yesterday so.." he trailed off and I nodded in understanding, trying not to show my sadness.

I wish he was coming to drop me at my mother's home today for pag phere rasam.

"Do you want to say something?" He asked, lifting my chin making me look at him. I lowered my eyes and shook my head.

Buzzing a kiss on my forehead, he left my chin and filled my maang with sindoor before holding my hand and we walked down, it's past 9 and I guess everyone is ready by now.

Manik's and my friends are in guest rooms and I hope any of them come down soon.

"Oh shit I forgot my laptop. Sit in the living room I'll just go and grab it" Manik said when we were on the stairs and ran to what I assume to be the study room when someone called my name from the living room.

I hurriedly went down to find all my friends sitting in simple yet elegant kurtas looking like dolls. May god bless all the guys that are going to fall for them knowing that they are Annabelles not barbies.

"How was your night?" Navya was the first one to make me choke on my own saliva as I sat in a loveseat opposite to them.

"Oh come on Navya, you are just not asking our shy Nandini how her first night went" Mukti nudged Navya smirking at me making me blush.

"Shut up" I told them grumpily trying to hide my cheeks.

"Sure! You got your hotshot husband now and you are already asking us to shut up" Aliya said dramatically and I want to bang my head on the wall now.

"Girls please" I pouted, praying for Manik to come faster.

"Stop troubling my wife you devils" Manik faked his anger as he stepped down the stairs and sat beside me glaring at them playfully. Wow! My husband is on their side already.

"Come on my dear brother in law we are not asking for details, we just asked how the night was" Mukti teased and I hid my face in my palms, my cheeks growing warmer with their words.

"Stop troubling my bhabhi. She is definitely not going to share how her night is with you guys" Cabir said, stepping down along with Dhruv, mischievous glint in their eyes prominent and I'm damn sure I'm going to be the topic for everyone to tease today.

"God I hate you guys" I said annoyingly and got up from my seat and stepped to go to the kitchen and see what's going on there.

A hand clasped around my wrist and pulled me back suddenly making me lose my balance and I gasped, scared to fall down when two hands got wrapped around my waist and in a split second, I was on Manik's lap and it happened too fast to process.

I clasped his arm that was around my waist and it took me a moment to realise that I was actually on his lap.

Everyone hooted, and my cheeks turned more red if possible. I hid my face in his chest and whined while I felt his chest rumble with his laugh, making me annoyed.

I whined again and he kissed my head and I got up from his lap and ran to the kitchen without giving them any other chance to tease me.

"Good morning Nandu" Manik's mom's voice felt like a warm blanket in the cold winter.

"Good morning aunty" I fiddled with my words, not knowing what to call them. She stopped chopping vegetables and turned to me. I grew nervous at her stare and looked down immediately.

"It's mom for you" she said after a moment and I looked at her, her gaze softened at my nervous self. I nodded and stepped forward before hugging her.

I could feel her surprise as she hugged me back. "Thank you maa" I said softly, a smile on my face as she caressed my hair.

"Why?" She asked, confusion lacing her voice as I broke the hug.

"For giving me the best husband I could ever ask for" I couldn't believe I'm saying this but I'm damn sure Manik is going to be my one.