32

Manik

“I didn’t knew she has suicidal tendencies” It felt like someone threw cold water at me and shoved a hot rod down my throat.

I couldn’t speak. How can I? My wife has suicidal tendencies and no single creature in her house had an idea about what she is being through. Moreover, they are the reason that she got those tendencies in the first place.

“What do you mean Abhimanyu? You don’t know that she takes anti-depressants and sleeping pills and not even that she has self-harming tendencies? What the fuck do you know about my wife?”

I asked, trying to keep my tone as low as possible as I stopped the car under a tree.

I don’t want to get into an accident. That is the last thing on the to-do list.

“Well, I’d say that I don’t know because I really don’t Manik. I’m sorry, but just for you to know, I have been through the same parents pressure like Nandini did. And I thought she was using writing like I used painting. But I didn’t knew that my friend lured her into shit who was a drug addict and that she had tendencies. I tried to give as much freedom as I could without letting my parents know Manik, I swear on my life." He paused, as if he was trying to choose the right words.

"I let her know that she can talk to me anytime, any moment, all it takes is a message or call. But she never knocked upon me. You’ll never know Manik. I thought she trusted me enough to know that I have got her back but she never tried to seek help. All I can say is I’m sorry. But I’ll do whatever it takes to help you guys now” Abhimanyu said sincerely and I knew he was right.

I couldn’t blame him for this. She should have told him but she had her own insecurities too. I don’t know what to do but there is nothing I can do crying over the past.

I sighed and talked for a few more minutes before cutting the call and drove to Malhotra mansion and she was still asleep.

She really looks so exhausted. But I need to talk to my mom about it. And Nandini is even having her exams. I shook my head as I parked the car in the garage.

I didn't have a heart to wake her up so I got out of the car and walked to her door. Opening it, I picked her up in my arms in bridal style making sure she doesn’t get hurt and closed the door with my feet and started walking inside.

Mom was sitting in the living room and her eyes widen when she saw Nandini in my arms like that.

“Is she okay?” She asked, her voice filled with concern as she walked to us and I nodded my head.

“She was just too exhausted and dozed off in the car. I’ll just tuck her in and come back. And mom, ask someone to get the things that are in my car” I said and heard her reply before taking the stairs.

I don’t doubt that Nandini is a light sleeper now. She sleeps so peacefully and I’m glad for that. And here goes my time to go to the gym. I kicked our room door open with my feet and walked inside. It is evening by now.

And I’m sure it will be dinner in 4-5 hours. And this girl is not going to sleep when I have a meeting with those foreign people.

I laid her on the bed carefully and removed her dupatta and her bangles and left only a few before covering her with a duvet.

I kissed her forehead and adjusted the A.C. temperature before walking to the washroom to get cleaned up.

The first thing I did was to wash my hands before mom sees the blood and bruises on my fingers and palm.

After changing myself, I walked into the room to find her shivering in her sleep as she was mumbling something and the covers were completely off her.

Nightmares.

I ran to her and immediately patted her cheek softly and woke her up. It took me a few minutes with her completely drenched in sweat and not at all in her senses but she woke up after a few minutes.

"Manik" she breathed out as her eyes fluttered open. I nodded my head with a small smile trying to keep a strong face. But seeing her like this is crumpling my heart.

"I'm sorry" was the first thing she said and I realised she was worried about me being angry.

"Shh that's okay. I'm not angry. Go back to sleep. That's completely okay. You are safe now" I said, caressing her cheek softly.

She looked at me without blinking her eyes for a few moments before nodding her head. I covered her with the duvet again and she slept with a peaceful look on her face.

I clenched my fists trying not to break anything in the room. I was the reason for her nightmare. I ran my hand through my hairs and tiptoed quietly out of the room and shut the door behind me.

I don't know if I need to go to my mom or to the gym and I choose the former one. I need to talk with her and I'm not going to hide anything. If I have to go to any trip or meeting, I want her to take care of my wife.

I walked to my mom who was sitting on the couch and sat beside her. She turned off her mobile and turned to me giving me her whole attention.

I smiled at that. She could just say when something is bothering me. Not that I'd hide it from her.

"Now tell me what's wrong?" Nyonika Malhotra asked in a soft tone, something only reserved for her family.

I told her everything. From the way Nandini grew up in her maternal home, the way her parents treated her, the way that she loved a guy who was a drug addict and psycho and that my wife was not aware of it. Her depression and her suicidal tendencies.

She was stunned at what Nandini has gone through and even shed a few tears.

"Now I understand why you wanted to marry her. This feels like the past is repeating. She is not going to regret this marriage with you Manik. I'm going to love her so much that she'll forget how her parents treat her and how depressed she was. We are not repeating the mistake" my mom said wiping her tears and I knew I made the right decision.