25

Nandini

I looked outside the window, my mind wandering around how things turned out from morning till now. I thought I’d actually have a good time with my parents as I made their wish of me marrying Manik come true and did well at my in-laws home but it turned out downright disgusting.

I’d give anything to erase this scene in my head if that means I’d still love my parents the same and they didn’t speak like that to me. Even though I know where it was coming from, I wish they didn’t use those words against me.

A hand clasping mine brought me  out of my thoughts as I looked at Manik who was driving looking ahead, but his thumbpad started to massage the back of my palm slowly.

I sighed and leaned to his side, keeping my head on his shoulder. I don’t know what to say to him but I’m forever grateful for his presence today.

“I’m sorry for the ruckus that happened. I didn’t mean for you to come back from your work” I said, my voice filled with regret.

He pressed a kiss to my head that assured me that it’s okay.

“Never apologise for asking for my presence. I don’t care if I’m in a meeting or some other country. Just call me whenever you need me” Manik’s voice was soft, his tone different from the one he used with my parents. 

I just bobbed my head slightly, not wanting to disrupt the silence around us.

“Don’t you want to know where I’m taking you?” Manik asked, still looking at the road.

“I thought you said we are going to your office,” I said quietly.

He laughed slightly and said “Glad to know you are paying attention to my words' ' and that brought a smile to my face.

“Thank you Manik, '' I said, surprised that he managed to put a smile on my face so fast.

I lifted my head and sat comfortably on my seat letting him drive peacefully and close my eyes.

“When are your final exams?” he asked after a moment.

“In two weeks I'll be done with my MBA” I said, a grin plastering on my face.

“That’s great. But I can’t say if you are excited that your studies are going to get completed or that you don’t want to do it anymore” Manik said playfully. That made me laugh.

“I did like that subject but writing and literature always had my heart. Dad wanted me and Abhi has to do MBA so that we will take our business after he retires” I explained to him, my gaze going to his face and man, even the side of his face didn’t disappoint me.

“I thought Abhi was interested in business? Was he forced to?” Manik asked, a frown etched on his face.

“I guess you can say that. He loves painting, just like my heart goes for writing and that’s his secret hobby. Mom and dad don't know about it either. He uses it as a stress reliever” I said as Manik parked the car in the parking lot of the Malhotra office.

“Wow” was the only word Manik said as he came out and opened the door for me before grabbing his office bag and closing the door. We entered the office and almost everyone stopped what they were doing and gazed in our direction.

Me in a simple chudidar and Manik in his office suit, him holding my hand and my head reached just till his shoulder.

He didn’t wait for anyone or wished them good morning as he walked to the elevator that was a bit far from the normal four elevators.

“Private elevator for Malhotra’s” the sticker on the door read. Few gazes on my back made me feel like someone was pricking my back and I turned behind to find a few people looking at me.

“Why are people staring at me?” I asked Manik, getting irritated with too many gazes.

“Are you guys done seeing the show or should we do a ramp walk?” Manik almost yelled at them, his voice booming with authority and everyone dispersed almost immediately and the elevator opened with a ding.

Manik kept his hand on my lower back, nudging me to go inside, his touch sent shivers down my spine. I entered the elevator and frowned.

"Why did you yell?" I asked, looking at him as he pressed the top floor button.

"Because they were making you uncomfortable" he simply shrugged, making me look at him with awe.

Scratch that yesterday night I said he was cute yesterday. He is cutest today. I looked away, resisting the urge to tiptoe and pull his cheeks.

"You look cute when you blush" his sudden confession made me blush more than I already was. He chuckled at my state making me pout.

The elevator opened and I walked out as Manik came behind me, his hand around my shoulder keeping me close.

We reached his cabin and he opened the door, the black and light brown would have made me cry if I was dramatic.

Even though it looks rich and extravagant, the dark shades aren’t my thing usually. It reminds me of my dark days that I won’t ever want to go back. He locked the cabin and I opened the curtains letting the light fill the room.

He kept his bag on the couch on the end of the room and walked to me as I leaned against the wall observing his steps.

“Did you like the cabin?” He asked, taking my hand in his and led me to his huge mahogany desk which was in front of a wall which was filled with his picture where he was looking like a predator.

I nodded my head. “The cabin looks good but the dark shades are giving off an off vibe” I admitted honestly when he looked at me, utterly surprised that I was honest instead of telling that it looks beautiful.

He made me sit on his chair and sat opposite to me, like the cabin belongs to me and he came inside my cabin. I put my hands on the table and looked at him with twinkling eyes.

“You can modify everything you want here. I’d contact an interior designer and you can say the changes you want” Manik said and I couldn’t hide my shocked expression.

I nodded my head in excitement but the next question made my excitement come to a halt.

“Do you want to work after you complete your studies?” He asked, his expression not giving if he was hopeful or just asking for name sake.