26

Nandini

I fidgeted with my fingers looking down. “Nandini” His voice held a kind of softness that made me look into his eyes and my heart melted into a puddle at his sight.

I’d give anything to keep the smile on his face intact. That’s just so beautiful.

“Just tell me honestly, don't think about my opinion” Manik said.

“I don’t have any experience” I said quietly.

“You don’t need to learn everything in a day. You can learn slowly” Manik replied.

“What about my stories then?” I asked, biting my lip.

“There is no rule that you have to do only one thing,” he said. Ah why does this guy have answers for everything?

“I think I’ll work until we have kids” the words flew out even before I could stop them and I slapped my hand on my mouth as Manik’s head snapped towards me.

“And I’m shutting up now” I muttered to myself. God we didn’t even do anything and I’m already talking about kids. Just wow.

I closed my eyes tightly, realising I have embarrassed myself enough for today when I felt Manik standing up and shut my eyes tighter if possible.

I got startled when I felt the chair spin and clutched my hands together not knowing what was going to happen next.

He held my hand and unclasped my palms slowly, his touch soft and warm that made my eyes open. He was kneeling on his knees in front of me, his chocolate brown eyes looking at me with affection that was making it impossible for me to look away.

Our joined hands are on my lap, him kneeling in front of me where I’m sitting in his office chair where I’m sure no one except maa and papa sat, it feels surreal, too hard to believe that this is real.

“Nandini, you don’t need to feel awkward or embarrassed to talk to me about anything and everything. Periods, cravings, pregnancy, kids, job, your stories, even about Madhyam. Just be comfortable enough around me to let me assure you that I’d be with you whatever the situation is” his confession felt so honest and real.

He was running his thumb on the back of my hand all the time while he was speaking.

What did I do to get a husband like him? Definitely good karma is blessing me. I nodded my head, feeling overwhelmed at his affection.

He gave me one of those rarest breathtaking smiles that made my heart skip a beat or two. God this guy is going to give me a heart attack with just his smile.

“Manik” I whispered. He raised his eyebrows.

“I need to tell you a secret,” I said, my voice just above whispering. He chuckled and got his ear near my mouth. I kept my palm on his left cheek and pressed my lips to his right cheek where my smile was threatening to break on my face.

I moved back and looked at his face, the smile on his face said that he is worth every heartbreak I can go through if he is the end gift of it. And I’m not letting this man ever go away from me.

“If this is how I’m going to get rewards, I’d keep on saying sweet things to you everyday” His eyes twinkled with mischievousness and my eyes widened at his words.

“Did you just flirt with me Mr.Malhotra?” I asked, narrowing my eyes trying not to let his attention go to my cheeks which were heating up.

“Yes mrs.malhotra” he smirked before pecking my cheek and helped me to stand up from his seat. I just hugged him not knowing how to handle the butterflies in my stomach.

He wrapped his hands around me and held me close and murmured “and about your job, if you still want to do it, you can even do it from our home and you can just come to meetings. I’d get to spend more time with you if you are in office so I’m not going to lose that chance” Manik said and I whined at his teasing.

“Aww Nandini” he cooed like I’m a baby and I slapped his chest and broke the hug.  “I’m not a baby” I muttered, folding my hands and turning away annoyingly.

He wrapped his hands around me from behind and took me in a back hug and kept his chin on my shoulder “only mine” he muttered making my heart go race with a  bullet train.

“What?” I asked, acting confused. He kissed my temple and said “only my baby” and this felt more intimate than anything else that happened between us.

“Manik” I said and turned to him, still in his embrace. He kissed my forehead and gestured to me to speak looking at me lovingly.

I palmed his eyes and muttered “you need to stop looking at me like that if you want me to speak” with a pout.

He removed my hand and kissed my palm asking “how do I look at you?” making my cheeks turn more red.

Aiyappa what do I do with this guy? I glared at him trying not to smile.

“Like.. Like..” I couldn’t tell him that he looks at me like he is already in love with me.

He mimicked me, making me angry and I ended up messing his hair with my both hands.

And it took me a moment to realise what I just did and hit my head on his chest slightly. I’m conflicted with myself in his case and I just know one thing now.

He wrapped his hands around my waist and jerked me close to him, not letting the air pass and nudged me to set his hair.

I ran my hand through his hair softly before setting them and smiled at him.

“I need to ask you something” I said, my voice slightly shaking at the end.

“Yeah? tell me” he asked as he started playing with my dupatta as we sat beside each other on the couch in the cabin.

“Hear me out before getting angry” I said quietly, holding his palm in mine.

He interlinked our fingers and kissed them before nodding his head.

“It’s Madhyam” I said quietly and his whole demeanour changed.