The Road Trip of a Lifetime: Part 4

Summary: When Natasha, Yelena, Kate, Carol, and Darcy all decide to go on a road trip to the beach, things become very chaotic very fast as the girls struggle through spending a large amount of time together in far too close quarters.

   "Y'know, I'm pretty sure you didn't read the map correctly," Natasha commented as she struggled to see and drive through the snow that was falling heavily in front of the car. The windshield wiper was furiously attempting to keep her vision cleared, but the snow was falling so insistently that the wipers were not really helping.

"Yeah, well, that's what happens when you get an idiot to read the map," Yelena replied to her, shooting a glare back at Darcy. Darcy immediately released a noise of pure offense, and Carol sighed from where she was slumped down in her seat. Kate just winced a little, worried that there was no doubt about to be an argument ensuing.

"Look, I told you guys, I am not trained to read maps!"

"So you keep saying, but you could've said that before you were handed the map," Yelena informed her, and Darcy narrowed her eyes.

"She unfortunately has a point," Carol spoke up, and Yelena gestured to Carol in agreeance, Darcy scoffed.

"I am an astrophysicist, not a cartographer!" Darcy defended, and Yelena rolled her eyes, not about to cut Darcy any slack. Especially considering how ruthless that Darcy could be sometimes.

"And one would've thought that with such a fancy title that you would have enough sense to know how to read a map! Any idiot can read a map! I bet even Kate Bishop can read a map!" Yelena jabbed a thumb in the kid's direction and Kate wrinkled her nose.

"I'm not sure whether to take offense to that or not," Kate spoke up uncertainly, and Yelena opened her mouth to reply with something sarcastic, and Natasha interrupted quickly.

"Okay, hey, let's calm down. I'm trying to stay focused on the road," Natasha told them, and they hesitantly quieted as Natasha drove carefully, trying to ensure that she did not veer off of the path before them.

They were still in civilization but just barely, and at this point, Natasha just wanted to find some place to settle down and stop for the night so they could sort this entire thing with being lost in the morning when she could hopefully see the road better.

There was a silence, and Natasha let out a breath, narrowing her eyes a little in an attempt to see through the snow.

However, the silence did not last in the least before Yelena suddenly spoke up in an oddly low and ominous voice.

"Y'know... I've heard about these mountains," Yelena pointed out, and Natasha immediately sighed as she practically felt the air surrounding Kate change as her gaze snapped to Yelena quickly.

She knew exactly what Yelena was hoping to accomplish. And despite how much she did not want Yelena to stary more crap, she decided that paying attention to the road was a little more important right then than trying to run interference on Yelena's antics.

"How? We're lost, so you don't even know which mountains these are," Carol pointed out in her typical calm manner as she leaned back further into her seat, watching the shorter blonde carefully. Yelena just shrugged nonchalantly as she glanced at Natasha mischievously to see if she was paying attention to her.

"Well, there's very few mountains around here, but they all have the same legend," Yelena replied quickly, and Carol just huffed but did not bother interrupting her this time as she began her story.

"So the legend is that there are creatures that roam the forests in these mountains," Yelena began, and Kate remained stock still as she listened carefully to Yelena's words. She was dead quiet, absorbing them carefully as she listened. She was not entirely sure if she believed the words, but she was always more than willing to give legends a listen. Every story was worth listening to.