The Christmas of a Lifetime: Part 8

Summary: When Christmastime comes around at the compound along with Secret Santa, Natasha, Yelena, Kate, Carol, and Darcy find themselves in the middle of many holiday festivities with many old friends and even a new one or two.

Warning: If you are still a believer in Santa Claus, I strongly recommend stopping reading when they go in the toy store 😅 If you aren't one, then happy reading!

   "Hey! Hey, Carol, where you going?" Darcy spoke up from where she was sitting on the couch in the common room and Carol was currently quickly passing by. Carol just sighed deeply, shaking her head as she thought of the precise answer to that question.

"Going to get something for this dang Christmas party. Stark decided it needs more pizazz, so I'm going to get an overgrown stuffed Christmas bear thing at that big toy store at the mall. And don't ask me what giant bears have to do with pizazz, because honestly, I would've picked t-shirt cannons personally," Carol admitted, laughing just a little despite her clear aggravation with Tony's sudden last-minute needs.

She had been one of the main people to work on the Christmas party so far, and that decision had been largely made for her. However, it made sense because she was one of the few people around that could fly and easily reach all of the many locations up high that had to be decorated.

Vision and Wanda were having their own Christmas but would be coming for the party, and Thor had gone back to spend time with Valkyrie before they came back for the party. No one really knew if Doctor Strange would come or not and he would likely show up the night of the party if he decided to at all.

And even though Carol had presented the fact that Tony could put on his suit and fly up to put up the high decorations, he had declared that he was extremely busy, and because she did not feel like putting up with him longer than she had to, she decided to just do it herself.

Plus, after that whole thing with Steve supposedly cheating, she needed to put her mind on something else until he finally got back from his mission which was scheduled to end supposedly the day before or the day of the Christmas party. She also did not really mind helping that much since she liked to be useful when she could.

That is, until Tony started thinking of additional things that they did not even really need in the first place, and then her affinity toward helping had a tendency to wane.

"Ah, okay... You mind if I come with you?" Darcy questioned, and Carol immediately stopped in her movement toward the door, just watching the woman as she tried to decipher her motives. Darcy was just sitting there, that closed-lipped smile on her face as she awkwardly awaited Carol's response.

So, even though Carol could not for the life of her fathom why Darcy would ever want to come with her considering their very limited interaction throughout knowing each other, Carol nodded carefully, fiddling with her keys.

"Umm.... Sure," Carol agreed, staring at her strangely.

The truth was that Darcy needed to get a hat still, and she honestly had been eager to see if there was maybe something that Carol might want that was of her own choice. Despite the fact that Yelena's advice about a hat as a gift had seemed sound, she did not want to risk it quite just yet before she could potentially get a better idea.

"Awesome! Let's get to it. We taking a car or you? Darcy asked, and Carol furrowed her brow before understanding that Darcy meant she was talking about flying for her last suggestion.

"Well, neither, actually," Carol trailed off, grinning a bit as she shrugged. Darcy squinted a bit, looking at her skeptically.