Grumpy Squishy

Summary: Kate texts Natasha in the middle of a meeting, insisting that she needs help with Yelena because she accidentally fired her up, and Carol quickly distracts Steve to let Natasha have a chance to break away and help the young archer. When she finds Yelena, she quickly figures out that her baby sister is just having one of those bad days, and she just needs some cuddles and love.

   A text on Natasha's phone suddenly buzzed in her pocket. Natasha flinched minutely as she reached down and withdrew the thing from her pants' pocket.

Natasha looked down at her phone, subtly sneaking a glance underneath the table as she diverted her attention from the utterly riveting meeting that she was being forced to sit through.

It was yet another painful meeting with Steve droning on and on about something or another that really did not have to be drawn out as long as it was. She was currently bored stiff, and Yelena was not even there to offer her entertainment of any sort.

Yelena had been spared from going because Carol was currently present for the meeting. Carol had been relatively open to coming to it, happily sitting next to Natasha and settling in, but now that it had gone on for at least an hour, Natasha could see how the blonde was shifting uncomfortably in her seat and casting one too many glances at the clock on the wall.

"Whatcha looking at?" Carol leaned over and questioned softly, her mouth close to Natasha's ear as she whispered carefully. Natasha glanced in her direction briefly before tilting the phone to the side to show her the screen. Carol looked down as she eyed the phone alongside Natasha. Natasha pulled up the text that she had received, quickly recognizing it as Kate.

"Tasha I hope you're done with the meeting! Yelena turned into Squishzilla!" Kate had sent to her, and Natasha raised an eyebrow, confused as she looked at the text. Carol chuckled heartily, trying to keep her voice down.

"Squishzilla. Gosh, I wonder what she did to get shortie fired up," Carol pondered aloud in a whisper, and Natasha narrowed her eyes a little.

"You don't know that she did something to fire her up," Natasha optimistically expressed, trying to give Yelena the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that she knew Kate had likely done something inadvertently to rub Yelena just the wrong way and set her off.

"I accidentally fired her up!" Kate suddenly sent, following up her last text. Natasha paused before sighing, and Carol almost snorted, barely keeping it down.

"I called it," Carol proudly pointed out, and Natasha narrowed her eyes at Carol half-heartedly. Natasha then shifted her gaze back up to look at Steve.

"I've got to go and see about this. And I don't think he's anywhere close to finishing up..."

"I can make him finish up if you want me to," Carol offered, and Natasha looked at her uncertainly. Natasha finally nodded, and Carol replied with a nod of her own as she diverted her attentions to her boyfriend.

"Hey, babe, as hot as you are when you're up there trying to be large and in-charge, we've got to get some relief," Carol spoke up suddenly, interrupting him in the midst of whatever he had been going on about.

Natasha almost grinned as she looked between Carol and Steve. Steve turned redder than a beet and Carol was just smiling an enormous, suggestive, cheese-eating grin.

Tony immediately clapped his hands, offering full approval of Carol's proposition, and Sam waggled his eyebrows at Steve teasingly. Bruce just stared at the group, shaking his head slowly, and Peter was almost as red-faced as Steve even though the comment was not about him whatsoever. Steve stammered for several moments until finally clearing his throat. Rhodey just chuckled at Tony's overenthusiasm.