The Road Trip of a Lifetime: Part 6

Summary: When Natasha, Yelena, Kate, Carol, and Darcy all decide to go on a road trip to the beach, things become very chaotic very fast as the girls struggle through spending a large amount of time together in far too close quarters.

"Alright, if you're done terrorizing her more, can you please come on to the car?" Natasha spoke up, gripping both her and Yelena's bags in her hand. Darcy had already gotten in the car, and Carol was lingering not too far away from Yelena as she read one of the inn's brochures out loud to a very unnerved Kate.

They had gotten up that morning, and Natasha had immediately insisted that they leave. It had been a halfway peaceful night once Yelena had finished using Carol as her own personal flashlight and after Kate had gotten over her fear a little, keeping her face hidden in Natasha's neck for the majority of the night after Yelena's oddly reassuring, dramatic display.

"I was just getting to the good part! They have this legendary hike up here and everything, and it's the perfect time to find wendigos because they're most common at this time of year!" Yelena explained, waving the brochure in her hand with a wide grin that was far too mischievous for anyone's good.

"Let me see that," Carol stated before reaching out and trying to grab the brochure from Yelena's hand. Yelena swiftly moved it out of her grasp, dropping it to her side, and Carol squinted at her skeptically.

"No, you don't have to see the brochure. I was reading it to you, so you don't need to see it," Yelena declared, stuffing it in her pocket. Carol scoffed a little before patting Kate on the back.

"Don't worry, kid. She was feeding you a line of it," Carol comforted her as they headed over to Natasha to join them at the car. Kate nodded with a small grin, appreciative of Carol's efforts. Yelena quickly strode after the both of them.

"Hey?!" Yelena cried indignantly, and Carol huffed a bit, a smirk tugging at her lips as she looked over at her.

"Look, short stack, I know you're full of crap, because I myself have done the exact same thing," Carol chuckled, and Yelena furrowed her brow, eyeing her with far more interest.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I did it to an old friend a long time ago. She didn't fall for it then, but I thought it was pretty funny. She was really just the best," Carol admitted, her face suddenly growing oddly strained and her eyes gaining a strangely sad glow to them.

Yelena watched her carefully, trying to understand why Carol had suddenly gotten so nostalgic and so opposite of her usual confident, upbeat self. Kate paused a little, noticing the change, and Natasha had a somewhat knowing look in her eyes as she stepped in.

"You guys finally ready to head out?" Natasha asked, raising an eyebrow playfully, and Carol forced a grin as she nodded.

"Taking too long for you, Nat? Or did Yelena's outlandish stories finally get to you?" Carol questioned, and Natasha rolled her eyes.

"Just get in the car, Danvers," Natasha scolded playfully.

"Ooh, back to last names now?" Carol asked, narrowing her eyes just a bit.

"Might be if you accuse me of being afraid again," Natasha teased back, and Carol just smirked widely, more genuineness coming to her face than had been there moments before.

Once Carol started going and getting in the car with Darcy, Yelena looked at Natasha questioningly.

"What's her deal?" Yelena asked somewhat gruffly, but there was a definitive undertone of concern within her tone.