A First Time for Everything: Part 9

Summary: It is finally time. Kate is having the mission to beat all missions-- the one that will determine whether she is ready to become an actual Avenger. However, when comms to the compound go out and enemies manage to get the drop on her, things go awry quickly. It is up to Natasha, Yelena, and Clint with the help of Darcy to find her as they take on the last person that anyone expected to have to face again.

   Natasha stirred from her place in the driver's seat, flinching a little as she came alive. The cellphone was ringing offensively there on the dash where they had sat it, and she narrowed her eyes.

They had looked for hours that night, and finally, they had decided to relax for a moment and get a bit of rest so that they could more effectively look for Kate. Granted, this was not an idea that Yelena and Natasha had been a proponent of, but Clint had insisted. He always was a voice of reason for Natasha. Natasha herself could have stayed awake for over twenty-four hours straight. It was part of her training.

The only thing that made her agree with him was that she wanted Yelena to be able to sleep. Yelena had been just as on-edge as Natasha, and it killed Natasha to see the obvious tiredness written in her features. Therefore, she and Clint had outvoted Yelena, and they had settled in the car, locking the doors and closing their eyes as they waited for Darcy to finish.

Natasha groaned as she raised up, grabbing the phone as she looked at the caller ID. It was Clint's phone, and she looked to him, seeing if he was paying any attention. However, it seemed that he had turned his cochlear off, allowing himself to rely on the two assassins in the car to keep an eye on things.

It was Darcy calling, and Natasha answered it, lifting it to her ear as she wiped at her face tiredly.

"Hello?" Natasha's voice was a little rough with sleep. Darcy started to take in a breath, but then Natasha heard her pause. She then spoke up finally.

"Have you been sleeping?" Darcy asked, just the slightest hint of accusation in her voice, and Natasha raised an eyebrow despite the fact that the brunette could not see her.

"Yeah, why?" Natasha questioned.

"Wow. Y'know, you could have done that here instead of storming out and deciding you were going to single-handedly find Kate to only end up sleeping in some car," Darcy pointed out, and Natasha sighed, far too tired and too wound up from everything to tolerate Darcy and her far too logical declarations that were far too ill-timed.

"Did you find anything out, Darcy?" Natasha asked, completely unimpressed with Darcy's comment.

"Well, it took a little longer than I had expected, but I got the files decoded," Darcy explained, moving straight into business, and Natasha nodded, listening carefully. Natasha quickly realized that she felt warm breath falling against her neck, but before she could turn her head, she felt a chin resting on her shoulder. Natasha looked a bit to the side, noting that it was Yelena. Yelena softly brought her hand up to squeeze Natasha's arm in a sort of morning hug as she always did, and Natasha turned her head to kiss Yelena's cheek gently.

"So basically, there are several different possible hideouts tied to Kingpin and Bronte. It seems like Kingpin's hideouts have been occupied by his peon cronies, and these locations are what seem to be potential places that Bronte could have taken her because he's one of the cronies that's been taking over operations since Kingpin's death," Darcy explained, and Natasha hummed in acknowledgement.

"Any of them that look like the more likely possibility?" Natasha asked.

She shifted the phone so that it was on her shoulder, and she squeezed Yelena's hand with her own newly freed one. She then looked back at Yelena, glancing at Clint as she cued Yelena to wake him up.