A Glimpse of Us

Summary: Carol, Yelena, and Natasha head straight into a situation with a suicide bomber that has conveniently chosen a broken down factory in the middle of town to detonate his bomb. Carol charges in to take care of him, and just when it's too late, she realizes he has a hostage that remarkably resembles someone near and dear to her. It's up to Yelena and Natasha to get her through the effect that this incident has upon one of their best friends.

   "Come one step closer and I'm pressing this button!" the bomber cried out, and both Carol and Yelena froze quickly where they were hiding behind cover.

Carol, Yelena, and Natasha were all working together on this mission to capture a suicide bomber. They were aiming to bring him in alive for questioning, but most importantly, they were sent to neutralize the threat and keep him from hurting anyone. Natasha had been vacating the nearby area since they were currently in an abandoned factory in the middle of town while Carol and Yelena went after the bomber.

"You just stay back here. I'm flying in there," Carol informed her quietly, starting to raise up a bit, but Yelena grabbed her arm, holding her back.

Carol looked at her quizzically, and Yelena rolled her eyes, pointing to the device in her ear. Carol knew that Yelena would honestly love nothing more than to just take the guy out without question, but since Natasha was leading the mission, they had to check in with her first. Carol paused, waiting for Yelena to get confirmation.

"Natashka, do we need to bring this guy in alive?" Yelena asked, activating her commlink as she waited for Natasha's reply.

"Preferably, but he doesn't have to be. I'd still rather you didn't blow the place up, though," Natasha responded to her, and Yelena sighed a little. Carol let out a somewhat exasperated breath, biting at the bit to jump in and take care of the guy. She knew she could do it efficiently and quickly, and she was more than excited to take action.

"Nat, it's just an old factory. No one's going to care," Carol replied, and Yelena nodded along with Carol's logic. Yelena thought a lot like Carol did, and Carol was always pleased to see the both of them sharing similar thoughts about the situation.

"Are the civilians out of the perimeter?" Yelena questioned, and Natasha groaned but hummed in agreement in their ears.

"Yes."

"Well, since she's so eager to go in, I think she should," Yelena argued in favor of Carol's plan, and Carol nodded to her, mouthing a thank you as she replied to Yelena.

"He doesn't have hostages, does he?" Natasha asked.

"I don't think so," Yelena answered, and Natasha let out a deep breath, obviously in thought.

"Proceed. Just try to take him out before it detonates," Natasha told them, and Carol smirked a little, excited to get down to business as she smacked her fist into her open palm. She rose into the air, lit up, and she punched through the wall as she flew into the room.

Carol made a beeline for the man, but as he turned around to face her, her eyes went wide as she froze in place.

He had a hostage, alright.

And it was a little girl that looked so much like her Lieutenant Trouble that it physically hurt.

Carol, in the midst of staring at the child had paused for just a moment, but that split second that she stopped was a second too late. He detonated the bomb, and everything blew up into a giant explosion, knocking Carol back onto the ground some distance away.