The Distance Between Two Hearts: Part 6

Summary: When SWORD asks for the Avengers' most powerful member for a highly dangerous mission, Carol naturally is the one selected to go. However, to her complete and utter surprise, she is paired with the one and only Monica Rambeau, and she has to rekindle old connections with one of the people that means the most to her while battling a completely unexpected yet sinister threat.

   The first thing that they realized when they entered the library was that yet again, that strange sensation came over them upon heading through the door. Carol and Monica shared a glance, sharing acknowledgement of the existence of the aura, and they wordlessly resolved to remain watchful.

The second thing that was realized was the library's smell. And that was an understanding solely from Carol's end of things.

"Wow, this place smells just like my childhood home. All it's missing is that horrible smell of booze," Carol declared out of the blue, somewhat startling herself a bit with the sudden admission.

Monica looked at her weirdly and there was some strange emotion in her eyes that Carol could not quite identify. She figured that the girl was probably wondering why she had said that, and honestly Carol herself was wondering the same thing.

However, she supposed that it was likely because she felt strangely safe with Monica even though she did not even really know her at all anymore. It was a weird feeling, and she guessed it was because no matter how big or different that Monica was now, she was still Carol's Lieutenant Trouble and therefore her family.

"How does an old library smell like your house?"

"It's that mold smell. My dad really let it all go after my brother left and my mom passed away. That last little while that I lived with him was really bad," Carol admitted, figuring that Monica most likely knew enough about her past that she could safely say these things. Even though it was a deep, hidden part of her that she did not really discuss with anyone usually, telling Monica felt right in some way.

Monica just silently listened, remaining quiet as she apparently chose not to reply aloud. Carol swallowed, somehow still feeling secure in her audience.

They quickly found themselves near the front desk, and they stiffened just a little as they realized that there was indeed someone there. They tentatively approached, trying to remain careful just in case.

The woman suddenly looked up from her book as they approached, and she grinned widely, lighting up as she put her reading down.

"Hey, there! Can I help you two find anything?" the woman asked.

She was dressed nicely, and her hair was loose where it was hanging down her back, considerably beyond her shoulders in length. Carol narrowed her eyes just a little as Monica took initiative and started talking to her. Carol studied her carefully, finding that she somehow had that same strangely familiar atmosphere about her as everyone else they had met. It left her a little on-edge and she was not entirely sure how to handle it.

"Hey, we were wondering if there were any historical documents here about the town? We're here to hike, but we were so taken with the town that we got curious about its history," Monica explained with a cheery smile. Carol nodded along with her, offering an easygoing smile despite the fact that she was anything but at the moment.

"Well, does a fat baby fart?" the woman asked as she grinned widely. Monica looked slightly taken off-guard, and Carol could not help the smallest chuckle despite her intense lack of trust in the librarian.

"The answer's yes," the lady stage-whispered before winking in an over-the-top manner. Monica chuckled somewhat, trying to muster a bit of a smile.

"Just follow me, kids. I'll take you right back," she informed the both of them, and Monica nodded thankfully as they both strode along after her.