The Vacation of a Lifetime: Part 1

Summary: Natasha, Yelena, Kate, Carol, and Darcy find a plethora of adventures and mischief to get into on the beach in the aftermath of their messy disaster of a road trip. As they learn more about each other throughout these hijinks, they slowly all get closer.

A continuation of "The Road Trip of a Lifetime."

   "This is stupid, guys. Like I told you, I can fly already. There's no real reason for me to have to do this," Carol protested for what seemed like the millionth time as they started to strap her into the parasail.

It was their first real, full day at the beach, and they had arrived the previous day. Yelena had happened to somehow find out about parasailing, and as soon as she had discovered it, she had not stopped excitedly insisting that all of them should go and do it.

And after Carol insisted that she could just fly next to them and that they did not have to waste money on paying for her to get a chance, they all insisted that she should do it anyway without using her powers for the experience and the opportunity to see things like a normal person.

Yelena had even been willing to give up having the first turn just for Carol to go up. And of course, her motives were anything but for generosity's sake. Yelena had that wicked, mischievous look in her eyes that told Carol the precise reason was only to try to torment her.

"And like we've told you, it's different if someone else is in control. The new experience could be fun," Darcy chastised in that typical no-nonsense manner.

"Look, I don't," Carol trailed off, trying to figure out how to phrase what she was trying to say, and her eyes landed on Yelena suddenly. Yelena had a far too large smirk on her face, and Carol immediately clammed up.

"Sounds like you're just too chicken to let somebody else take the lead for once," Yelena astutely pointed out, and Kate grinned a bit in spite of herself. Natasha just shook her head at her, rolling her eyes, and Carol huffed.

"Maybe I just don't trust people's boat-driving skills," Carol stubbornly declared, casting an uncertain glance in the direction of the driver of the boat they were on. He just shot a somewhat grumpy look in her direction, obviously unhappy with her words.

"This guy says he's been driving boats for thirty years! Literally who else would you want to drive?" Darcy questioned incredulously, and Carol looked away defiantly, definitively unhappy with the situation and the fact that they were slowly starting to prove her worries to be utterly based in her own fear of relinquishing control of her own self to someone else.

"Someone straight out of the navy?" Kate added on somewhat disbelievingly, and Carol shrugged, dead serious.

"That'd be good, yeah," Carol answered defiantly. Natasha reached out to her, squeezing the area between Carol's neck and shoulder. Natasha's light greens were soft and reassuring, and Carol let out a small breath, the barest bit of comfort coming to her.

"You're going to be fine," Natasha expressed, and Carol just gazed at her, searching her eyes carefully as she tried to conjure her confidence.

"Yeah, you can just break out of it if something goes wrong," Kate cheerily added onto Natasha's reassurance, and Carol sighed tiredly, not pleased with this entire thing at all.

"Besides, even if you couldn't get out, you're wearing a life-vest," Darcy astutely pointed out, poking the orange vest that Carol currently had on. Carol furrowed her brow, narrowing her eyes a bit.

"Yeah, about that. Why am I wearing a life-vest if this is supposedly perfectly safe?" Carol asked.

"Good grief, you are like an old man," Yelena complained aloud, groaning heavily as she rolled her eyes. Natasha shot her a halfhearted glare before returning her gaze to Carol.