The Distance Between Two Hearts: Part 7

Summary: When SWORD asks for the Avengers' most powerful member for a highly dangerous mission, Carol naturally is the one selected to go. However, to her complete and utter surprise, she is paired with the one and only Monica Rambeau, and she has to rekindle old connections with one of the people that means the most to her while battling a completely unexpected yet sinister threat.

   "So you think witchcraft is what we're dealing with now?" Carol asked from where she was sitting on the edge of the bed, kicking her shoes off and offering a giant sigh. Monica simply shrugged noncommittally.

They had spent the entire day in the library looking through the old records and history of the town, and they had not really found anything particularly revealing outside of further proof and stories about the history they had uncovered considerably early on in the search.

"Certainly seems like that could be it," Monica finally replied, and Carol huffed, shrugging as she allowed herself to just fall onto the bed. She let out a deep groan, and Monica glanced over at her with a slight raise of her eyebrow. Carol positioned herself so that her arms were underneath her head, and she leaned her head up just a little to look at Monica momentarily.

"Well... I guess as long as Wanda's not on another one of her nuttier than a fruit bar moments, we should be good. I mean... I don't really feel like kicking her butt, but I will if I have to," Carol declared confidently as she let her head fall back down against her arms, and Monica shook her head as she rolled her eyes.

Carol's undying self-assuredness and cockiness had never gone away, but as Monica had grown older, it had not aged well in terms of how she viewed it. Granted, this could be because they were not on the best of terms right now.

"I'd like to see that fight," Monica commented.

"Huh. I thought you were fond of Wanda," Carol stated, and there was a pregnant pause as Monica waited for Carol to follow up on her statement. However, after it was clear that Carol was waiting for her to reply, she finally responded hesitantly and slowly.

"I do. And what does that have to do with anything?" Monica risked it.

"Well, I didn't think that you'd like to see the fight where her butt got handed to her on a silver platter," Carol joked, and Monica remained completely unimpressed with her as she looked away from the older woman to focus on trying to get her phone to pick up a reading.

"Sure..."

"What? You doubt I could do it?" Carol asked, and Monica narrowed her eyes slightly as she glanced away from her phone to look at Carol once more.

Carol actually almost sounded slightly hurt, and it was a strange sound to pick up in the older woman's primarily cheerful tone she kept. Even the previous night when Carol had talked to her, there was not something that could be distinctly labeled as hurt feelings in the tone.

"I didn't say that," Monica declared finally. She did not want to lie and say that she felt Wanda would win, but she also did not want to boost Carol's ego with the belief that Carol would be the victor. By settling somewhere in the middle, she was aiming to avoid both options.

"Good. Because you know when that big, purple grape tried to snap his fingers again, I caught his hand, right? Like the Infinity Gauntlet one," Carol explained, holding up her fist as she grasped her wrist with the other hand to emphasize her point, and Monica scoffed, gazing at the phone in her hands.

"Retelling your greatest accomplishments really isn't the best way to keep a conversation fresh and engaging," Monica drily replied, and Carol went surprisingly quiet for a moment.