The Distance Between Two Hearts: Part 9

Summary: When SWORD asks for the Avengers' most powerful member for a highly dangerous mission, Carol naturally is the one selected to go. However, to her complete and utter surprise, she is paired with the one and only Monica Rambeau, and she has to rekindle old connections with one of the people that means the most to her while battling a completely unexpected yet sinister threat.

   "What is that?" Carol immediately questioned as Monica sat across from her with her dinner.

After they had gotten back from hiking, they had come back to the inn to find that Abigail was serving dinner and hosting some manner of a party for the guests. Therefore, instead of getting food from one of the restaurants around, the two of them decided to go the easy route and get something to eat there at the inn. Carol had gotten some chicken and fries. Monica had gone to get something to eat and had only just gotten back.

"A salad?" Monica replied with some confusion. Carol wrinkled her nose, wincing as she let out a noise of protest.

"Oh, don't tell me you're one of those rabbit-food-eaters. Where went my snail buddy?" Carol questioned, smirking widely as she eyed the younger girl. Monica simply rolled her eyes, raising an eyebrow.

"That was a long time ago," Monica attempted to dismiss the entire thing, desperately disguising the underlying embarrassment that she was suffering at the moment. However, she did not have the heart to turn Carol down entirely. Especially since Carol was trying to joke with her. Plus, things had been going better between them and she did not want to ruin that.

Unfortunately, Carol seemed to notice that Monica was reacting a little more warmly than she ordinarily would have, so she must have felt somewhat at liberty to continue this course of action.

"Oh, come on, I vividly remember you slurping those things down with me as fast as you could get them down your throat while your mom just sat there yelling at me about how disgusting we were and how I was being a bad influence," Carol recounted, unable to help the ridiculously huge smile that came onto her face as a result of the teasing. Monica sighed deeply.

"Y'know, I'd really rather not remember slurping snails with you," Monica confessed, and Carol shook her head, clicking her tongue.

"You can't deny your heritage, Little Missy. You come from a long line of snail slurpers," Carol proudly declared, jabbing a thumb at herself, and Monica narrowed her eyes both at the nickname and at the implication.

"I'm not even related to you by blood," Monica tried to argue, despite feeling the comment hit her in the part of her heart where she was most soft, and Carol huffed, smirking as she kept going relentlessly.

"No, but does blood really matter in the face of raising? Your mom was a sister to me, so I did half the parenting. So I guess you could say you had two mo—"

"Don't even go there," Monica sighed deeply, successfully feeling extremely embarrassed as her face heated up, and Carol let up finally, smirking as she took a bite of her chicken.

"Fine," Carol placatingly replied, and Monica sighed, shaking her head as she tried to overcome the sense of humiliation about the whole thing even though no one was really paying attention to them. It was mostly just the principle of the thing at this point.

"Look, we need to talk about the mission," Monica explained to her carefully, leaning in as she lowered her voice. Carol eased forward a little, seemingly trying to disguise the motion as angling herself over her food to have better access to keep the food over the plate. Monica took a similar stance, attempting to just look extremely engrossed in the conversation.