Can't Let You Die

Summary: Natasha and Yelena go on a mission with unexpected threats, and they bring Carol along just in case as backup. Before long, they split up, and Carol and Yelena end up together taking care of enemy agents. However, when Carol happens to miss one of them and the man pulls the trigger on her, Yelena takes action in the most unexpected and shocking of ways, leaving Carol completely panicked and utterly regretful.

   "Took care of my goons. Your side good?" Carol asked, and Yelena nodded to her carefully as she let out a deep breath, reloading her gun again just in case.

Carol, Yelena, and Natasha had all gone on a mission together. Even though Carol's help had not been necessarily needed, they welcomed her because the threat that they were facing on this particular mission had not been entirely scoped out, and there was a certain level of danger as well as unexpectedness in the entire thing.

Since they had to split up into two directions at one point, Natasha insisted on Yelena going with Carol. Yelena had not been overly pleased since she would have much preferred to stick with Natasha, but Natasha insisted that she had been fine.

Yelena had not been impressed at all, but Carol had easily understood precisely why Natasha had insisted. Natasha had cast her a meaningful gaze as they were separating, and Carol knew that Natasha felt like Yelena was safer with Carol. Especially since they were in such unfamiliar territory. It must have made Natasha feel better for Yelena to stay with Carol since Carol had so many advantages over Natasha in terms of superpowers.

Carol had a strong suspicion that Yelena knew Natasha's thought process behind it, too, and Carol could see that it only served to make Yelena more agitated. However, since Natasha was in charge of the mission as per usual due to her seniority with the Avengers, Yelena was forced to listen to her. Plus, Carol was not going to let her leave her side even if she had to drag the shorter blonde. Natasha had made it clear that she wanted Carol to protect her, and she was going to do her job no matter what.

"You look a little out of breath, Boomer. Old age getting to you?" Yelena teased quickly, bringing Carol out of her thoughts. Carol just huffed, raising an eyebrow playfully as she turned back to Yelena to face her

"Might be an old soul, short-stack, but I just happen not to age," Carol cockily shot back with a smirk, and Yelena rolled her eyes, ignoring Carol's overconfidence. Carol could not help but grin a little at her, and she reached up to touch and activate her commlink so that she could give Natasha an update on their side of the mission. She moved over to Yelena's side, stepping forward as she looked around the room they were in and took in their office-like surroundings.

However, just as she did, Yelena suddenly moved quickly, and she grabbed Carol, shoving her out of the way suddenly. Carol would have ordinarily been completely unshaken in the face of any shoves or pushes, but since she was not expecting it, she reacted as any ordinary woman would have, and she stumbled at the sudden, stout weight barreling into her.

Carol's instant thought was that Yelena was getting her back for the statement she had just made about being ageless. She almost smiled and was about to fight back and grab Yelena's head in that affectionate yet annoying hold where she just pushed Yelena back from her by placing a hand on her head.

Well, that is, until a gunshot sounded off almost as quickly as she had that thought and completely made her reevaluate her understanding of the situation at hand.

Carol immediately reacted, fighting the stumble from Yelena's push as she levitated. She turned to the sound of the gunshot, spotting the man who had made the mistake of shooting. She lit up her fist and violently shot him into the wall behind him with a photon blast. He crumpled upon contact and was knocked out cold as soon as she hit him.