Fundamentals of Feline Friendship

Summary: When Natasha and Clint go on a mission, Kate comes over to spend some quality time with Yelena, which Yelena is mostly okay with since she was bored anyways. However, when Kate is there, something terribly unexpected happens, and Yelena ends up having to call Carol and Darcy for backup. By the time it's all done, Yelena is far from bored...

  "Hi," Kate greeted with a smile, coming into the living room where Yelena was unceremoniously draped across the couch. Yelena looked up at her, completely bored, and she rolled her eyes tiredly.

Natasha and Clint were off on a mission and were supposed to be coming back that day. Yelena was bored and miserable without her big sister, and unfortunately, just as she was about to take a nap, Kate arrived at the place and Yelena had to invite her in.

However, undeniably, a piece of Yelena was glad to have Kate there if only to mess with her and aggravate her a little. Kate was a fun target, and she was usually a really good sport about it, too. It was part of what made her so great.

"What are you doing here?" Yelena questioned, and Kate grinned a little more widely as she eyed her.

"Since Tasha and Clint are on a mission, I thought I'd drop by and hang out with you," Kate expressed.

"What? Your two favorite bozos are gone so you decided to settle for me?" Yelena asked, aiming to try to get a rise out of the girl. Kate just huffed, shaking her head as she moved over to sit in the armchair not too far from the couch. Fanny excitedly sniffed at Kate's shoes before laying her head on her lap as she looked up at her and begged for attention.

"No... I like hanging out with you. When you're nice to me," Kate answered, rubbing Fanny's ears as she paused for a moment to kiss her head and praise her.

"So you never like hanging out with me," Yelena replied, the barest grin on her face as she teased the girl. Kate sighed before perking back up a little, seemingly attempting to remain positive despite Yelena's constant challenging.

Yelena had to give it to her. Kate was getting better at handling her jabs, and she was not sure whether she was mourning the loss of an easy target or if she was ultimately respecting this more confident version of Kate.

"I was wondering if you'd like to watch a movie or something?" Kate offered, and Yelena sighed, shrugging.

"Why not? I'm bored and tired, and if it's a stupid movie, I've got the perfect place to sleep here," Yelena patted the couch where she was laying to accentuate her point. Kate smiled in that typical overexcited puppy manner.

"Just go let out Fanny before we watch the dumb movie. I don't want to have to get up," Yelena lazily instructed, and Kate nodded, getting up as she patted her leg to signal to Fanny to come with her.

Yelena chuckled, and she could not help but smile a little. Kate was truly a sweet kid, and in some strange way or another, Yelena did not terribly mind spending time with her. Of course, there had to be a movie or a video game playing for her to feel that way usually.

In that case, she did not have to really talk to Kate a whole lot and therefore there would not be any awkward conversations or anything. The truth was that she did not really know how to talk to Kate outside of picking on her or aggravating her, so it made it difficult to actually have a conversation.

Interrupting her thoughts, Kate suddenly came running back into the room, looking a little panicked, and Yelena looked at her quizzically as Kate stopped at the back of the couch.

"What is your problem?"

"Umm... I let Fanny out... And I may or may not have let Liho out, too, and she may or may not have ran away and out of the yard," Kate nervously explained, and Yelena's eyes went wide as she shot up off of the couch, gaping at Kate.