The Christmas of a Lifetime: Part 6

Summary: When Christmastime comes around at the compound along with Secret Santa, Natasha, Yelena, Kate, Carol, and Darcy find themselves in the middle of many holiday festivities with many old friends and even a new one or two.

   "So are you going to go home and spend Christmas with your family?" Kate asked, looking down at Darcy as they walked along. Darcy simply shrugged.

They were currently in the mall at the moment, and they were hoping to get some of their shopping done. Darcy was mostly sure about a hat for Carol, and while Kate had not decided for Bruce, she was hoping to see something that caught her eye and that would work for him.

"I'll probably go after this whole Secret Santa deal. I told them that I was trying to stick around and brown-nose the old boss," Darcy admitted. As soon as she did, she looked at Kate quickly, pointing at her.

"Do not tell Stark I said that, though," Darcy warned, and Kate grinned a little, tilting her head as she eyed her somewhat mischievously.

"The old part or the brown-nosing tidbit?" Kate questioned teasingly, and Darcy groaned. Instantly, Kate could not resist laughing in reply to her, and Darcy shook her head.

"Preferably neither if that's okay with you," Darcy tiredly declared, and Kate giggled a little, the both of them continuing on as they eyed the different stores throughout the mall.

"How about you? Going to spend Christmas with the Hawkeyes? Stick around the compound? Stay with Yelena and Natasha?" Darcy asked, throwing out different options as she questioned her, and Kate shrugged a little.

"Natasha and Yelena are going to Clint's, so I'll probably go with them. Last time, Yelena picked on me the whole way there about Clint, but it was fun. Natasha fussed at her the whole way, and I think she was ready to pull her hair out," Kate confessed, love in her tone as she discussed the other two women.

"Yelena's or her own?" Darcy asked, and Kate paused, thinking about it.

"Both?" Kate suggested, laughing a little. Darcy eyed her carefully, the both of them strolling slowly along as they remained in not too big of a hurry to take the time to talk to one another.

"You really love those two, don't you?" Darcy pointed out, studying her, and Kate shrugged, grinning widely as her eyes sparkled with affection. It was evident in her words and in her mannerisms that she absolutely adored Natasha and Yelena more than anything, and as sweet as it was, Darcy did find herself confused a little in regard to Kate's affection for Yelena despite how the blonde conducted herself.

"Yeah. They're certainly two of my favorite people," Kate admitted, and Darcy nodded, raising her eyebrows.

"Sometimes that shocks me considering Yelena's attitude," Darcy acknowledged, and Kate nodded in a conceding gesture. She understood how Darcy could feel that way.

"She sometimes drives me crazy, but usually she doesn't hurt my feelings. They're both sort of like the family I don't really have at the moment. Like... Natasha's a big sister to me for sure, but Yelena kind of is, too? I don't know. It's stupid and kind of weird, and I know it doesn't make sense..."

"No, it makes sense. I mean... That's you and not me, but like that's valid, so," Darcy shrugged, cutting herself off as she regarded her.

"She's just... She's weirdly understanding at strange times, and she'll protect me from people in a heartbeat. At least physically. And I know she cares. I've seen it. It's just our thing for her to pick on me, and I know she doesn't mean anything by it, so it doesn't hurt my feelings," Kate assured her. Darcy hummed in reply, acknowledging Kate's declaration.