Hard Pills to Swallow

Summary: Natasha has been taking on entirely too much work lately, and it causes her to sleep far more deeply than usual. She sleeps so deeply one night that she somehow completely sleeps through Yelena having a nightmare and trying to wake her up. In the throes of the utmost guilt, Natasha resorts to drastic measures and enlists Darcy's help. However, the effects of these drastic measures end up bringing Carol and Kate into the mess, too, and Yelena is quite honestly utterly livid with her big sister.

   "Morning," Yelena's far too awake voice rung out as Natasha walked in. Natasha froze up as she gaped at the blonde sitting there not too far from her.

Natasha had just gotten up out of the bed and was heading tiredly into her and Yelena's kitchen. She had woken up with a serious sleep hangover, and she was positively exhausted.

The past few days had been extremely grueling for her, and she had been truthfully taking on more duties than she likely realistically should. She had been going to sleep far faster and sleeping far more heavily than usual, which was extremely weird for her.

Yelena had not been in the bed when she woke up, but she assumed that the blonde likely got up to go to the bathroom before she would head back to sleep.

However, to her utter shock, Yelena was sitting there at the kitchen table, her head in her hands as she looked down mindlessly at some dog TikTok that had doubtlessly been sent to her by Kate.

"Good morning, sweet girl... Why're you up so early?" Natasha questioned worriedly, immediately feeling that something was wrong. And when it came to her feelings about Yelena, she was usually right about them. She knew her baby sister better than anyone.

"I don't know. Guess I just woke up and didn't feel like heading back to sleep," Yelena expressed. Natasha furrowed her brow, narrowing her eyes slightly.

Natasha wasted no time in coming nearer and sitting down next to Yelena. She watched Yelena and as the blonde did not look at her, she lowered her head a little more, craning her neck a bit to try to meet Yelena's eyes. Yelena's gaze shifted to meet Natasha's and she let out a quick, short breath of air, a smile coming onto her face.

Natasha could not help smiling at her a little in return. However, her smile quickly faded to a more solemn, concerned expression. Natasha reached out her hand, softly tracing Yelena's arm. The blonde let her arm drop away from her head and to the table as Natasha stroked it affectionately. Yelena leaned her head over onto Natasha's shoulder, and Natasha rested her head on top of Yelena's, pressing a short, loving kiss to Yelena's hair.

There was silence between them for a little while as Yelena relaxed heavily into her side. Natasha wrapped her arm around Yelena to bring her closer, a wordless offer of protection from whatever was bothering the blonde.

"I had a nightmare," Yelena finally confessed, and Natasha froze momentarily. She felt as if her heart had been stabbed, and she swallowed hard.

"Baby girl... I am so sorry," Natasha apologized, pain blossoming horridly through her chest. Yelena nuzzled her neck, shaking her head.

"It's okay, Natashka," Yelena expressed, and Natasha bent her head to press her forehead into the side of Yelena's head.

"Detka, why didn't you wake me up? You know I'm always there for you," Natasha asked, and to her surprise, Yelena stiffened just barely. Natasha paused, confused as she tried to figure out why Yelena was so tense.

Yelena pushed herself further into Natasha, and Natasha got the distinct impression that Yelena did not want to share what had happened. Natasha furrowed her brow, wondering what was going on.