My Katie Girl

Summary: When Kate asks to take a sick day from training, Natasha is immediately worried. When she follows Kate to her apartment in the compound, she quickly finds her favorite little archer in tears, and she makes it her mission to find out what's wrong with her other baby sister.

   "Hey, if it's okay, can I call a raincheck on training today? I'm not feeling overly well," Kate spoke up, and Natasha furrowed her brow a little, tilting her head as she looked at the kid.

Kate had been meant to do some hand-to-hand combat training with Natasha that day, and it was the first time in a while that they had worked together since Kate had been focusing quite a bit of sword training with Clint whenever he was there. However, Kate seemed to be in no shape to participate in any sparring.

Kate's eyes were weak-looking, and they were on the edge of bloodshot. It almost looked like she was on the verge of tears. Natasha paused immediately where she had been warming up with Yelena, and she headed over to the girl.

"You okay? What's wrong?" Natasha questioned softly, reaching out to touch Kate's face, and she could feel Yelena's questioning, slightly jealous eyes on the both of them. Kate shook her head, moving out of Natasha's grasp, and she forced a grin.

"I'm fine, just tired," Kate reassured, trying to sound convincing, and Natasha nodded just a little despite the fact that she was not persuaded in the least by Kate's words. Kate smiled at her, and Yelena just scoffed as she approached the both of them, standing at Natasha's side as she eyed the brunette.

"You go enjoy your rest, Katie-Bear, while the rest of us are slaving away," Yelena dramatically declared, and it was easy to read the teasing in Yelena's tone. However, Natasha noticed as Kate imperceptibly stiffened at the nickname. Natasha tilted her head, trying to catch her eyes, and Kate forced another of those tight smiles before heading out of the room.

"See you guys later," Kate called, and both Natasha and Yelena watched her go. Natasha let out a small breath, and Yelena looked at Natasha curiously, ever in-tune with whatever was going on with the redhead.

"What's the problem?" Yelena asked, and Natasha looked over at her baby sister where she was squished as close as she could get against Natasha's side.

"Something's wrong with Kate."

"Well, just because she didn't tell me her typical 'don't call me Katie' doesn't mean that she's dying or something," Yelena joked in an attempt to remain lighthearted, changing her voice to sound extra goofy and extra American sounding as she mimicked Kate's usual words. Natasha shook her head. Yelena's smile fell just a little, and Natasha knew that Yelena knew that something was not quite right with the younger girl.

"Something's really not right with her, Yelena. She looked like she was going to cry," Natasha expressed, and Yelena furrowed her brow, doubtlessly remembering what Kate had looked like.

"She said she was tired," Yelena pointed out, but she did not sound overly convinced as she grew a little quieter as she realized precisely what Natasha meant. Natasha looked between Yelena and the doorway where Kate had disappeared.

"Why don't you go see what Peter or Carol's up to, and I'll go check on Kate," Natasha told her as she hoisted herself out of the ring and took her gloves off to go after Kate. Yelena huffed from where she was left behind in the ring.

"Why would I care what Sunny is up to?" Yelena called out, and Natasha threw her a smile over her shoulder.

"Because she's one of the best friends that anyone could ask for," Natasha pointed out, referencing what Yelena had said about Carol during their road trip not so long ago. Yelena narrowed her eyes, her expression turning sour as she grumbled under her breath.