A First Time for Everything: Part 4

Summary: It is finally time. Kate is having the mission to beat all missions-- the one that will determine whether she is ready to become an actual Avenger. However, when comms to the compound go out and enemies manage to get the drop on her, things go awry quickly. It is up to Natasha, Yelena, and Clint with the help of Darcy to find her as they take on the last person that anyone expected to have to face again.

   When Kate came to, she was quickly aware that there were several other bodies pressed up against her own and that it felt like they were in a vehicle as she felt herself bumping along, the road beneath rough. Her hands were bound, and Kate opened her eyes quickly, blinking as she tried to adjust to the lack of light in the vehicle. She squinted a bit, trying to get a good look at everything, and she realized slowly that there was an extremely weak bit of light coming from the ceiling above her.

She seemed to be in a trailer on an eighteen-wheeler, and she swallowed as her eyes adjusted enough for her to see more fully what she was surrounded by.

There were women and children all around her.

"Where... Where are we? Where are we going?" Kate managed to question, gathering herself enough to ask as she tried to focus on someone's face. Most of them ignored her, either too absorbed in their own fear or anguish. Kate brought her hand up to the back of her head, noting the dried blood on the back where the scab was forming as she waited for a reply.

Finally, a woman next to her spoke up, her eyes haunted and somewhat gaunt.

"This may not be something you rich types get, but you're being transported to be sold," she told her, and Kate swallowed, not sure how the woman had known who she was and her former relationship to Bishop Security. However, looking down at her clothes, she realized that the woman must have made assumptions based on her outfit.

She quickly realized that she herself was the only person tied up also. She guessed they figured that none of the women would try to let her loose because their spirits were so broken.

"Where... How do you know that?" Kate asked, choosing to focus more on the details of the situation than her current condition, and the woman just scoffed lightly, a sense of resignation in her voice despite the sadness and fear that still danced in her eyes. The glint of the barely present light in her eyes revealed the glassiness to them, and Kate just watched her, knowing she was mostly dead inside despite those glimpses of life.

With all of that, Kate saw the potential to pull her back.

She suddenly found herself determined to save her. The woman may not have known it, but Kate saw her ability to be something more than just this husk of a person.

"Because I've been transported all the way from Illinois. But I've had time to hear them talking. I know what's happening," she answered her, pulling Kate out of her thoughts, and Kate just looked at her in horror, her throat tightening as she took in the fact.

"Where in Illinois?" Kate asked, daring to push her for more information simply out of curiosity and sympathy for this person. She shrugged, sighing.

"Chicago. Not a real good place to be homeless," she told her, and Kate nodded, not having a clue what that was like but feeling deep empathy, nevertheless. Kate looked around, trying to figure out the layout of the trailer as she tried to pinpoint any areas of escape.

"If you're looking for a way out, don't bother. They'll let us out when we get where we're going. They'll drop some off and keep on trucking with others of us," the woman explained. Kate furrowed her brow in thought before loosening a bit and looking at the woman again.