FOURTY TWO

A few hours had passed since Peter and Olivia left their apartment building

A few hours had passed since Peter and Olivia left their apartment building. They had gone all around the city and placed electrical readers in various places. And Olivia just hoped that it was enough.

Olivia would be able to keep track of the electricity around the city by looking at the app Peter installed on her phone, and if there was ever a spike it would go off.

She had been clinging onto Peter as he swung the pair through the air. She could feel the cold air of Queens, New York in her hair. A calmness had fallen on Olivia as Peter placed her on the roof of their apartment building. She took off her mask and looked at him.

He did the same and Olivia could tell something was still bothering him. It pained her heart to see the look in his eyes. The look of worry and fear. The look that only someone who was afraid of losing something could have.

"Peter," Olivia started, "I'm gonna be okay. I just have to figure all of this out."

"I know, but I just have a terrible feeling," He replied.

Olivia placed her hand onto his cheek. Cupping his face she pulled him in and kissed him. It was a sweet kiss. One that held a promise of her being okay. One that let Peter know she loved him. It was a kiss that meant everything and more. A slow kiss that could say a message words could never.

"I love you," Olivia said, pulling away and looking into Peter's golden brown eyes.

The boy pressed his forehead against her's and let out a sigh, "I love you too."

"Please understand why I have to do this," she pleaded.

"I do," he promised.

A smile came across Olivia face as she pulled him into a hug. Holding the boy she loved very tight. She had a feeling inside of her that going after this guy would change everything for her. But she was thankful that Peter was there for her.

"Liv," Peter said, worry filling his voice.

Beeping could be heard as she pulled away from her boyfriend. She looked in his direction of eyesight and saw a flash of blue fly up a building across the sky. Their phones alerting them of the spike.

Peter began to rise to his feet and look at the glowing electricity that was only a couple blocks away from them. Olivia stood and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You don't have to come with," she said.

"I won't leave you alone," He replied.

Peter then put on his mask and wrapped and arm around Olivia's waist. She took her hands and clasped them at the base of his neck. As soon as Olivia was secure Peter stuck out his hand and shout out a web.

The next second they were off of the roof and swinging from building to building. Speeding through the tall sky scrapers with ease. They were heading for the clock tower.

When Peter landed on the ground and let go of Olivia she took in the sight in front of her. The big clock was vibrating with blue light. Strikes of electricity flowing up and down the building. Olivia felt her heart beat begin to rise.

She gave a nod to Peter and then began to walk towards the tower. Olivia took in a deep breath and then pushed open the glass doors. Stepping inside was like stepping into a star. Brightness everywhere, but also the feeling of fear.

"I've been waiting for you to find me," a voice rung out, "I have been waiting to meet you for a long time Nova."

"That's not my name!" Olivia shouted.

Another laugh floated around the building, "No. But it's who you are."

"Who the hell-" Peter started to say, but he was cut off.

A blast of electricity shoot down from the top of the tower. Split right in between Peter and Olivia. Sending them both flying apart.

Olivia slammed hard against the wall. Glass shattered around her and she could hear the marble floor cracking beneath her.

The man dropped down to where the blast was, landing with a hard thud. He was facing Olivia. A smile plastered on his face. The same sinister smile she dreamed of every night. He began to walk towards Olivia.

"No!" Peter yelled.

He shot out a web and it grasped onto the man's hand. Spinning him around in a swift motion and pulling him towards Peter. The boy then launched himself in the air and kicked the man in the chest. Olivia stood up and ran towards the man.

She swung an arm out at him, but the man caught it before it made contact with his face. In a swift motion Olivia spun around and grabbed onto his elbow. She took her foot and kicked him in his knee. Taking him to the ground.

"Who are you?" she asked.

The man used his free hand and took Olivia to the ground, his hand closing around her throat, "Someone who needs what you have."

"Get off of her!" Peter yelled, charging at the man.

Olivia's vision began to blur as her ability to breathe weakened. She felt the man being pulled away from her. She gasped and coughed for air, trying to regain herself. The only sense intact was her hearing.

So many sounds could be heard at once. Groans and yelps coming from Peter. Olivia knew he was trying to protect her, but she could hear his voice grow weaker. She placed her hands onto the shattered floor. Her vision starting to come back slowly.

Her eyes strained as the sight in front of her came fully into view. The man had his hand out, his fist glowing with electrical atoms. Peter was on the ground, blood dripping from his lip, his eyes closed.

"No," Olivia groaned, "Please."

"Please what?" the man laughed.

"Don't hurt him," she pleaded.

The man turned around and faced her. His smile coming across his face once more. The man tilted his head to the side, contemplating her plea.

"What do you need?" Olivia asked.

"You're power," he answered.

The girl managed to push herself up into her knees, "Why?"

"Come with me. Willingly," he ordered, "And you will see. Or he will die."

"Let him live," Olivia cried.

"He will. If you come with me," the man replied.

Olivia looked at the boy she loved. Peter was laying still on the ground. He wasn't looking good but Olivia knew his healing had already kicked in. But if he let that electricity go, Olivia was not sure Peter would survive. And she couldn't risk that. She wouldn't risk that.

The girl raised her gaze to meet the man in the eye, "Okay."

The man let out another laugh as he began to approach Olivia. Taking slow victorious steps towards the girl. Tears began to fill her eyes.

With one last look at the boy she loved, she hung her head, "I'm sorry, Peter."

The man had reached her, and electrocuted her with a simple touch. After a few unbearable moments of pain, everything went black.