THIRTEEN

When school officially started, it seemed to drag on

When school officially started, it seemed to drag on. Thoughts raced through Olivia's mind as she tried to focus on her book in English. Turns out reading Romeo and Juliet wasn't the best option for her at the moment. Liz and Betty's words were stuck in her head.

Her mind kept shift over to Peter and how her heart fluttered when they locked eyes in the hallway. Then when she got to Chemistry she could barely focus on their lesson of Niels Bohr. Peter was right next to her the entire time. They would talk and laugh, but his main focus was creating a new web fluid.

So Olivia would occasionally turn to Ned and Michelle and talk to both of them, trying to make her mind and heart to stop racing.

Lunch was filled with Olivia and Liz setting up Homecoming posters all throughout the hallway while they discussed the party that Liz was throwing that Friday night. And Olivia always found herself looking over at Peter's nearly empty table with the exception of Ned and Michelle. And every so often Peter and Olivia's eyes would lock for a fleeting moment.

Then third period rolled around, which was Decathlon practice. She was laying across a table and Flash had us feet propped up in a chair. Both of them were reading magazines. Michelle was reading her book like she normally did. Then there were four people up on stage practicing: Ned, Charles, Abraham, and Cindy. They were all answering the questions that Liz was calling out.

Olivia was focused on her magazine, not really paying attention to what was happening around her, she was just trying to finally try and pay attention to something that wasn't Peter Parker.

"You've never even been in the same room as Tony Stark," Flash scoffed, pulling Olivia from her thoughts.

"Wait, what's happening?" Cindy asked, putting down her large book of notes.

Sally, who was laying on the floor, answered, "Peter's not going to Washington."

"No. No, no, no, no, no. No. No," Cindy repeated frantically, shaking her head at Peter.

Abraham then rang the bell in front of him, "Why not?"

"Really," Liz asked, "Right before Nationals?"

"He already quit marching band and robotics lab," Michelle informed.

Olivia already knew that information and the reasons behind it. Peter wanted more time on the streets, so he could protect the people and stop crime. But everyone else in the room who didn't know that stared at Michelle.

"I'm not obsessed with him," Michelle added, "I'm just very observant."

"Flash, you're in for Peter," Liz stated, shuffling her deck of flash cards.

"Oh, I don't know. I gotta check my calendar first. I got a hot date with Black Widow coming up," Flash replied, not bothering to look up from what he was reading.

Olivia took the magazine in her hand and smacked it across Flash's head. He winced in pain as the sound of the table bell was heard.

"That is false," Abraham said, a smirk growing on his face.

Olivia let out a laugh as she heard Mr. Harrington give a sigh, "What did I tell you about using the bell for comedic purposes?"

"Come on Mr. H, that was funny," Olivia replied, still laughing.

Flash sent her a glare, "Is it though?"

Olivia hit Flash once more with her magazine, but this time it was rolled up, "Yes it was. You were being mean."

The bell then sounded and everyone began to leave the room. Olivia grabbed her bag and started to head out the door, but she stopped once she saw Peter still sitting. His head resting in his hands.

She walked over to the boy and propped herself of the table, "Why the long face, Sugar?"

Peter let out a small laugh as he looked up at Olivia, "Nothing. I just feel like I'm letting the team down."

"But you're not. You're staying here to save lives. And I'll be with them just in case anything does happen," Olivia replied, giving him a small smile.

"I know," Peter huffed, "But sometimes it's hard to balance. I just want to prove that I'm made for this."

Olivia placed her hand on his shoulder, "Peter, we've already proven ourselves. If we hadn't then I would be out there every single night by your side. But instead I don't because the city has you. And you've proven enough. But you still have responsibilities here and that's why you're not going."

"Yeah, I guess you could be right," Peter agreed.

"Oh, baby. I'm always right," Olivia replied.

They both then bursted into a fit of laughter. Olivia clutched her stomach as tears started to fill her eyes. Peter's face was growing red, which only increased the laughter.

Minutes had passed and soon their laughs died down. Olivia then jumped up quickly, but she misplaced her foot and caused herself to trip.

She felt an arm snake around her waist and save her from hitting the hard floor. Olivia then looked up and saw that she was very close to Peter's face.

Instantly her heart started to bounce up and down. It felt as if it was going to come out of her chest.

Olivia stared into Peter's brown eyes. They became soft as he looked at her. No words were said for a few seconds as they looked at each other.

And for a split second, Olivia thought she saw his eyes flicker down to her lips. It was the slightest second, but it was enough to send her heart skyrocketing.

Peter carefully let her stand up straight, but he hadn't let go of her yet. And Olivia wasn't sure she wanted him to.

"Why is your heart beating so fast?" Peter asked, his eyes filled with an emotion that Olivia couldn't place.

She tilted her head to the side as she let go of Peter, "How did you know that?"

"I can hear it," Peter answered, "I mean, I can sense it because of my Spider-Sense."

"Oh well that makes sense," Olivia nervously laughed, fiddling with her hands.

Another bell then sounded, which told them they had five minutes to get to class.

"We better get going," Peter said, walking towards the door.

"Uh, yeah. We should... we should get going," Olivia agreed, grabbing her backpack.

Peter then opened the door for her and as she walked out of the classroom, Olivia gave him a small smile. And then she walked to her final class of the day, feeling as if she had just inhaled helium.