𝟑𝟐|| 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬

It's Saturday night and two weeks since I haven't gone home yet

It's Saturday night and two weeks since I haven't gone home yet. There's some sort of force that's stopping me from going back to Santi. The force of fear. Even though we talked through this, there was some part of me that was still terrified. He texts me every day, right from when he wakes up to going to bed, he's been sending me flowers everyday and as much as it yearns me to go back, I can't.

Tonight my brothers decided to go through our old childhood belongings and show Camilla and Juan some of them. Despite what we went through, we had a memorable childhood to some extent especially before our parents passed away.

It's kind of a tradition to our family. Any special occasion we would sit down together and reminisce on our childhood, the good times, our parents and for some reason tonight was one of those nights.

"Aunty Rei! Aunty Rei! Look what dada found!" My body spins around from the mirror and I find Juan and Camilla running into my room with something in their hands.

"What did Matias find?!" I exclaim, gasping and covering my mouth with my hands as I see Camilla hold a little fairy box. The box that my father gave my mother on the night Thiago and I was born and she had passed it down to me.

I sit on the edge of the bed, Juan and Camilla beside me as they watch me open the box. I know what was inside though, a letter which was written by papa explaining how he felt when we were born. Along with it was a pendant with our baby photos inside. My nephew and niece look at me clueless - probably because I was tearing up.

But honestly I was scared to open the letter, of seeing my papa's handwriting and opening the pendant. "Aunty Rei, what is inside?" Juan asks. I clear my throat and force a smile at both of them.

"This, my angels, was the fairy box your abuelo gave to abuela when she had me and uncle Thiago. And inside it is a letter he wrote with a necklace with a photo of us inside."

"Can we see it?"

This is what I was afraid of. I was afraid of having to let my emotions come back, the ones I hid deep down unconsciously away, and look through these memories again. Losing our parents was just enough damage for my brothers and I but bringing back all the memories we made in the short span of time broke us even more.

My parents always envisioned growing up old and seeing us flourish into amazing things. Mama always used to talk about how she wanted to see her grandchildren before she died, but what she saw through the flames was her young children becoming orphans.

"Why don't we go open it with uncle Thiago? He can read the letter out to you two." I say, standing up with the box in my hand and two of my treasures tagging beside me.

We enter a messy living room, boxes everywhere, my brothers standing in different places and looking through them. My heart relaxes at the sight of them together because who knows when we will have moments like this again.