#fourteen#

The feeling of being alone can come at the oddest of times

In a room full of people for a birthday party. In a venue of family for a graduation celebration. Surrounded by others at a baby shower. In an apartment building with other renters and families. In a hospital filled with colleagues of varying degrees despite them all knowing your name.

Ironically, rarely does the feeling of loneliness ever come when you truly are alone.

Yoongi stares at his picture of himself on the wall, smiling with his surgical team after a successful six hour surgery. The patient was a 32 year old window washer, he remembers. Male, 5'7 inches. He fell 13 feet from the cage lift. It was a single, as he was the only one scheduled to clean that day.

Negligence on his employer's part, being that the lift had been having mechanical problems that he knew about.

The man fell 13 feet and through a glass exhibit in front of the building whose windows he was cleaning. The uptown museum. He needed emergency surgery to remove the glass from sensitive places. It was in his face, chest and abdomen.

That was two years ago.

Two whole years and where has the time gone? It seems to have rushed right by him. The only things that he can remember are the surgeries that he's done. The truly brutal ones. Everything else is a blur.

"And to our great surgeon of the floor, one of the best in the hospital, in the city, actually." Dr. Hyde corrects as he raises his glass. "Yoongi Min."

The rest of the room raises their glass as well. Surgeons, doctors, nurses, pediatricians, techs and the like. In the meeting hall of the hospital, they're all gathered for a staff appreciation night. Some of them are on shift and popping in on their breaks, some of them are not and have come in to celebrate anyway.

Yoongi is stopping by before he heads out for the night.

He looks around at the people toasting to him and sees plenty of familiar faces. But only a few are people that he actually speaks to in comparison to how many are toasting to him. Though he's very grateful, this will never not feel weird to him.

He takes a sip from his glass of champagne with everybody else before they disperse and the crowd breaks. Many people pat Yoongi on the shoulder or smile at him in secondary acknowledgment before he's left to be with his usual group.

"I think Hyde has favorites." Hailey says in a teasing voice.

"Plural?" Taehyung questions in a tone of disbelief.

"Okay, just one." Hailey corrects.

Yoongi hides his shy smile as he sips from his glass. "You two talk nonsense all the time."

"That is not true." Hailey defends. "Hyde does have favorites but that's okay because they're very justifiable."

"Oh-. Let's not get on that topic. Here comes negative Nancy." Taehyung mutters as he puts his glass to his lips.