#fifty-four#

⚠️mentioning of physical abuse, brief mention of suicide attempt

The word 'healing' can have multiple paths of definitions.

Whether that be physically: healing the damage of a physical wound using the body's own biological processes.

Mentally/emotionally: sorting through the trauma inflicted on one's mind so that it no longer holds a prominent place.

Spiritually: taking the time to learn or understand one's self in all aspects to reach a better or higher state of mind.

No matter what path is taken, it can be defined as the personal experience of the transcendence of suffering.

The process one takes to overcome hardship.

Sometimes that looks like getting stitches at the doctor's office. Sometimes that looks like attending a therapy session. And sometimes, it's sitting in a quiet room with soft music, simply taking the time to reflect and breathe.

"Sometimes, we just need to take a beat. It's very easy for us, as humans, to become overwhelmed. Even more so for people who have been through trauma and haven't had a break since."

Harper remembers her therapist's words.

"So sometimes, it takes doing simple things that we haven't done in a while to start that process for us."

She takes a deep breath in as she sits on the living room floor, folding laundry and watching Onyx closely.

He's been crawling around much more. He's been babbling much more. Even though it's the same little syllables he's been saying, their frequency has increased.

Harper and Yoongi also noticed that since he's hit the ten month mark, he's been doing what Dr. Parker introduced to them as 'stimming'.

Initially, she wasn't sure if that's what it was being that it's common in infants.

But now they know that Onyx rocking back and forth, putting his blocks into mouth and squealing are how he 'stims'.

Since being told this, it's helped his parents narrow down what could be going on with him at the moment.

Maybe he's overwhelmed by something on TV. Maybe a light is bothering him. Maybe the fabric of his onesie against his thighs is bothering him.

Or simply, maybe he's excited to see one of the people he loves so much.

Or animals, to be precise.

"Meow."

Jewel walks into the living room and rubs his body along Onyx's side. The baby smiles and claps his hands as he watches him.

Harper grins, watching him as he giggles. "You see Jewel?"

Onyx looks at her as he smiles.

Jewel lays himself in front of Onyx and rolls onto his back.