#thirty-one#

From the outside looking in, maybe one would call this emergency room chaos

From the outside looking in, maybe one would call this emergency room chaos. People are wheezing, bleeding, have broken bones. There is so much going on with the patients.

But the medical professionals handle it with such ease. They have confidence, patience, and a sense of trepidation in a sea of roaring waters.

"Hey, Harper?" An ED nurse that she's learned to be named Winter calls her name.

"Yes?" She looks up from the desktop.

"Could you do me a favor, please? We're getting swamped right now but I need this to be taken upstairs. It's the Nottingham guy but he's been admitted to the trauma unit. I don't have the time to scan it. Can you take it up to the desk for me?"

Nurse Winter holds the folder out for her. Harper slowly reaches for it.

"Sure. Uhm, just the receptionist's desk or?"

"Yep. I think Garrett is up there. He'll know how to scan it and do the transfer. He can show you while you're up there."

"Okay."

"Thank you so much. You're a life saver."

Before Harper can respond, Winter is off to assist more people.

Harper looks down at the packet and swallows thickly. She hadn't planned on going up to the third floor at all. But it's just the receptionist's desk.

A quick elevator ride up, a swift walk and then back down. Nothing too crazy. Nothing too risky.

Harper locks her desktop screen and walk to the elevators. If she keeps the same quick paced momentum, she'll be alright the whole venture.

She takes the elevator up and looks side to side when she steps out. It's a habit at this point. People rush by and in and out of elevators all the time in the ED. 

On her way to the desk, she hears the voice she dreaded. Out of her peripheral, she sees Miss Sullivan speaking with a nurse.

Harper quickly walks past the pair of people talking. Her heart beats rapidly in her chest as she keeps her eyes focused to the ground.

Miss Sullivan sees her moving in her peripheral and double takes.

"Harper?"

She calls her name and Harper walks a little faster.

"Harper?!" Miss Sullivan calls her name again, a little louder this time.

Harper feels the stares on her as people start to looks between them. She walks right to the desk and places the manilla folder onto the counter.  

They're smacked kind of hard on the counter and Garrett looks at her. He can see the anxiety in her face. The heavy movement of her chest, the wideness of her eyes, the blurred gaze in her eyes.