#thirty-six#

Tick

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

"Can they turn that damn clock off? Why is it so loud?"

"It's not loud." Miss Sullivan tells her son. "It's just quiet in here."

"I was hoping you'd take the hint and leave."

"Why? Because I'm trying to get what's best for you done?"

"I'm not taking her off of my healthcare proxy." Jahlil states.

"Why?!" His mother raises her voice suddenly. "That girl hasn't done a damn thing for you. She's done nothing but stress you out and take your son. I'm telling you, Jahlil. She was going to let you die in here. She did not care. Had I not said anything to them nurses, she'd have let you die!"

He scoffs in amusement. "No, she wouldn't have."

"I'm telling you-."

Knocks on the door interrupt their conversation.

"Yes?" His mother calls.

"It's the nurse. I'm here for the vitals check."

"You can come in."

The nurse opens the door and Miss Sullivan recognizes her to be one of the nurses that have helped her son before. She's been in a few for his vitals checks since Jahlil has been in the recovery room.

When Nurse Beth isn't working, Nurse Kyra works with Jahlil. They're the nurses assigned to his recovery room.

"You don't know anything about her." Jahlil replies to his mother. "She would have never let me die. You're being dramatic."

"Good morning." Kyra greets as she walks into the room.

"And you do?" His mother questions, offended by her son's words. "You know her? You didn't think she'd ever leave you. You thought she'd be with you forever and she's not. She took your son and she left you high and dry. I've been here this entire time. Even before she was here and this is how you treat me for her?"

"You're being dramatic. None of that shit even matters." Jahlil tells her. "We know she works here. I can get my son back."

Kyra gets the blood pressure monitor ready as she prepares to start the vitals check.

"I can't leave, though. So you gonna have to go down to the court house for me and get the papers. I'll fill them out, you get them back there and we can have her served."

"You need to file for full custody. She don't need to have that baby at all." Miss Sullivan voices her opinion. "You can tell the courts that, you know that right? You can say she's mentally unwell. She's not fit to take care of that baby like that."