#forty-one#

⚠️TW: purposeful misgendering

Slick hands.

Racing hearts.

Buzzing minds.

All the makings of a nervous couple as they wait for the attorney to come into the office.

They've been here only a few minutes so nothing has been discussed yet. It's the atmosphere of why they're there that's pushing their nerves to thrum.

On the desk sits an identification card for the building. A picture of the attorney is on the front. Under the photo reads the name 'Yeonjun Choi'.

Yoongi grabs Harper's hand as they hear him walk back into the room. He closes the door behind himself and walks to the desk.

"I'm sorry for the delay." Yeonjun says, taking his seat. "I tried to print these papers this morning but the printer wasn't working."

"It's alright. Things happen." Yoongi assures him.

"Thank you for understanding." He smiles sheepishly. "I, uh... My supervisor emailed me about the situation and I took notes and have that paperwork here. But I'd like to get a full understanding of the situation so I know exactly what we're working with and what the best route is to take."

Yoongi senses the anxiousness in his body. Though he looks professional, he also looks a bit scared.

It reminds Yoongi of himself fresh out of med school.

The degree hanging behind Yepnjun's desk is proof that he's educated and capable. It's probably the professional experience that he hasn't quite gotten yet.

"How old are you?" Yoongi asks softly.

"I'm 25."

"You went in to college fresh out of high school?"

"Yes, sir."

"Why?"

The question takes Yeonjun aback. He's never been asked that. Nobody's ever really asked him any specifics about his profession.

They've only ever told him that he's too young to be a good lawyer. He's been rejected from many jobs, even with recommendation letters from his professors and the Dean of his school, just because of his lack of experience.

Almost everywhere has denied him because of either his age or experience level.

It's something that he never understood and is sure that he'll never understand.

"Because I always knew what I wanted to do." Yeonjun responds to Yoongi. "I knew that I wanted to go law school and I knew that I wanted to be a lawyer."

"How long have you been here?"

"Eight months."

"How many cases have you had?"