#forty-four#

The fourteenth of February

A day for love. A day for happiness.

A day for.... tears?

"Dadaaaaa!" Onyx's shrilly cries pierce the ears of every adult in the apartment.

He clings to his father's shirt, pulling on the fabric as his grandmother holds him.

"Onyx, we have to go to work." Harper tries to soothe. "We'll be back soon. We'll be home at the same time now."

"Dadaaa!" The infant screams and reaches for his father.

He kicks his legs and continues to cry, not caring to hear what anybody has to say.

Yoongi feels like his heart is going to tear from his chest. Hearing Onyx scream like this hurts so much. He wants to stay home.

Does he have to go to work? He can miss a day, right? How is he supposed to leave with his son screaming for him like this? How does anybody do this? It's impossible.

"I have to go, Onyx." He says softly as he looks at him. "You'll have so much fun, I'll be home before you know it."

Onyx's lip trembles as he huffs. He starts crying again and Yoongi wants to reach for him. He wants to pick him up and hug him and kiss his cheeks. Tell him that everything will be alright. That he'll be right back and everything will be fine.

But he knows that might make it worse. It might give Onyx a false sense of security only for him to put back into the arms of his grandparents.

"It's separation anxiety." Mr. Min tells Harper, who looks pained by her child's screams.

"But he knows you guys." Harper says. "He's seen you all the time. He loves you."

"Yeah but we're not his parents. That's all that he really wants."

"So what am I supposed to do?" Yoongi asks, staring at Onyx as he cries and reaches for him.

"Standing here while he screams for you, believe it or not, is not helping." Mrs. Min says, side eyeing her son as she rocks the baby.

"But he's-."

"Yoongiii."

"Moomm."

"I know. But you and Harper come get your kisses and you go to work. I know that it's hard for the both of you but it's even harder for him. And it's going to be a while but you've got to find ways to make it a little better. That's all that you can do."

"Mama! Maaa!"

"How long is a while?" Harper asks, afraid of what the answer could be.

"This is only the start of it. I can't remember how long that it lasted with Yoongi." She looks to her husband.